Pole saw?

/ Pole saw? #11  
Second on the Kombi by Stihl. I have two, and been using them heavily for years. I have the 120 motor which is one step under the biggest. Its plenty powerful enough. I also have several other attachments, like the articulating hedge trimmer ( great for vines, trimming smaller clustered limbs, monkey grass etc) and also have the sidewalk edger. But i use the saw mostly. It will easily replace a regular chainsaw for trees up to about 6". And much safer. Its way easier to transport since it breaks down. Very balanced and lightweight, and can be used for hours without fatigue. I can reach pretty high with it and its light enough to use with one hand. Ive tried the regular polesaws and they seem much heavier and "top heavy". I also have the optional extension shaft, but rarely use it. For limbs over 10' high, i use a good manual saw, but most limbs i need to cut are within reach.

Never had any problems especially since they discontinued the hated "flippy" caps. I would not consider anything else. The only downside (and i suppose its true with any short bar length saw) is that it dulls chains fairly fast. I go thru dozens in a year. If youre careless and hit dirt, it trashes it fast. But with a sharp chain, its a pleasure to use. I recommend it highly. Its one of my favorite and most used tools.

When my buddys and I use both of them, with a friend on the tractor with a grapple, we can flat out clear some trees fast. We use them mostly for trimming the roadsides of hanging limbs and saplings, and limbing shooting lanes. But if i need to cut a tree under 6", I use the Kombi

<TTStyledTextFrame: 0x165d5a90>

/ Pole saw? #12  
Another Echo recommendation from me.

/ Pole saw?
Sorry for the delayed response, been away from the computer.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I had just about made up my mind for something better than the big box store saw. Seems like most of you agree that the Pro Stihl might suit me better than the homeowner Stihl.
The Pro HT 100 is $100 higher than the homeowner HT 56C. The pro has a 7' fixed length pole vs the homeowner 2 piece 9' length. The Pro has a 31cc engine vs the homeowner at 25cc.
What really separates the Pro from the homeowner model?

/ Pole saw? #14  
Im sure you'll love that saw. From what i can see, the motor is the same as on the 110 Kombi, which is plenty powerful. Consider the Kombi version if you transport it on a tractor or ATV. Since it breaks in half, I find it more convenient, plus it can be multipurpose, if that appeals to you. But thats the only difference, it seems. I do like the fixed length, because the telescopic versions seem really heavy and unbalanced.

[<UIGestureGraphNode 0x16edb5c0>] edgesCount:[1] inEdgesCount:[1] outEdgesCount:[0] inOutEdgesCount:[0] (gestureRecognizerNode {gestureRecognizerNode:'<UISwipeGestureRecognizer: 0x16fc4d10>'})

/ Pole saw? #15  
One last comment. I just looked at the specs. The pro is of course more powerful, same engine as mine. And the homeowners is way too long. I use mine a lot to cut saplings at ground level when I'm trimming roads and trails, and to limb felled trees. Nine feet puts the business end too far away for balance, precision, and visibilty. And I dont need nine feet of vertical reach. The shorter one is plenty tall for most of my needs, and is more nimble.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Pole saw?
Thanks a lot for the hands on experience. Hopefully I can go by the local dealer this weekend and check one out.

/ Pole saw? #18  
I'm a Stihl chainsaw guy, all my life, (50 years of using chainsaws to date), see my signature, BUT I do have some Echo equipment, two similar models of combi-type multi attachment pole saws.
I bought the second one when my original one hit the concrete floor after being knocked over, and cracked the engine case, which I did not know until I tried to use it at a later date.
In the meantime I bought a slightly larger unit that would use all my other attachments, hedge trimmer, weed eater head, etc. I put a 12" bar and chain on it then found it slightly too heavy and tiresome for me when I wanted to work on many trees, so I went back to the 10" original chain/bar. Haven't looked back.
Now, in fairness to my Stihl 'roots', my go to tree guy who I call to do the work I can't or don't want to do anymore uses a large pro grade Stihl pole pruner. To my uses that is too much machine, and definitely too heavy for me- but it is a beast and will take a beating all day long. I know because my tree guy is HELL1 on all his equipment, and fast as lightening.
So I suggest getting a real feel for what you can handle- IMHO, lighter is better up to a point. You want quality over price- up to what breaks the bank.
Good luck, post back results. If you get the Stihl, buy their oil and it may still give you an additional year's warranty.

And FWIW, to the guy who's running out of oil before fuel, your engine's oiler needs attention. Oil should never run out first, and your tank shouldn't leak down to empty sitting properly, with a snug cap...

/ Pole saw?
I had also considered an Echo but I bought a Stihl MS170 last year for limbing. It has been perfect for trimming limbs and saplings. To be as small and light as it is, it really cuts like a much bigger saw and I don't get tired as quick. I did have to have the carb adjusted right after I got it but it has be trouble free ever since.
My dealer made me a good deal on the MS170 and I also took advantage of the oil/extended warranty. I'm hoping he'll do the same good deal on a pole saw.

/ Pole saw? #20  
Lots of good replies and great information. I'm a big fan of the telescoping saw shaft. It is all about leverage and angle of cut. It is amazing what you can reach from the ground with the telescoping shaft. You can always use the pole saw at the shortest length setting. Nice to have the extra reach when you need it. I cut down a large pine tree that suffered from snow and wind damage the other day. Was real easy to get to the lower branches without having to stand in the tree branches to cut them. Safer also. Before you buy one see if the dealer will let you at least extend the telescoping saw and try it for handling and leverage.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2024 Unused MIVA VA13 Mini Crawler Excavator, Srl.#VA1324062261 (A33237)
2024 Unused MIVA...
(2) Ridgid Tri Stands (A33349)
(2) Ridgid Tri...
Tools, shovels, pitchfork, log roller, well digger shovel, snow shovel, etc.. (A34007)
Tools, shovels...
2 PLASTIC TANKS (A34011)
2 PLASTIC TANKS...
1999 Volvo L70C Articulated Wheel Loader (A32932)
1999 Volvo L70C...
CAT 259D 2 Speed Compact Track Loader, Srl# CAT0259DEFTL17002 (A33237)
CAT 259D 2 Speed...