pole saws at work (photos)

/ pole saws at work (photos)
We would do the bulk of our trail tree limbing in the winter, when we could work off our sleds. Most of the winter backcountry snowmobile trails are summer non motorized in the Rocky Mountain West.
In your neck of the woods, winter trail maintenance would be near suicidal given the amount of traffic.
Looks great !

I've spent about 20 years clearing XC trails (cross country ski) but in the photos I just posted, these was taken clearing NFS camp sites. We get enough snow here that trails really need to be done before the snow gets to falling, or deep. Efficiency and safety are gone after XYZ inches have fallen. I've never cleared sled trails other than stopping the bully and lopping a few. :laughing: More photos can be seen on our dogs blog.

Last edited:
We had the pole saws out over the weekend. In the 2nd photo you can see fishing line that I picked up while clearing brush in a campground which knocked the bar sprocket out. Ya, these bars are costly....

Attachments

• P1060120.jpg
    P1060120.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 136
  • P1060088.jpg
    P1060088.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 151
  • P1060110.jpg
    P1060110.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 135
  • P1060086.jpg
    P1060086.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 133
   / pole saws at work (photos) #43  
I tell you what........this old man can not safely operate a power pole saw up 15 feet. The limbs (some 5" dia) fall williy nellie. One knocked me down and hurt my 87 year old bad knee a couple days ago. So today I used my manual pole saw which reaches up higher and is comparatively easy to operate versus the Stihl.

I do like it for limbing downed trees however.1640.JPG
Cheers,
Mike

/ pole saws at work (photos) #44  
I have a Ryobi 40v pole saw with an extension so I get about a 12 foot reach. I have limbs much higher up, was thinking about a rope chainsaw? Looks like alot of work unless I can somehow extend the reach of my pole saw.

I tell you what........this old man can not safely operate a power pole saw up 15 feet. The limbs (some 5" dia) fall williy nellie. One knocked me down and hurt my 87 year old bad knee a couple days ago. So today I used my manual pole saw which reaches up higher and is comparatively easy to operate versus the Stihl.
Mike

Mike. There is quiet the difference in weight between the telescoping style you have, and the type we use. It might be double. They are so heavy, we won't own or use that style and I'm younger than you!

Last edited:
   / pole saws at work (photos) #46  
I have a Ryobi 40v pole saw with an extension so I get about a 12 foot reach. I have limbs much higher up, was thinking about a rope chainsaw? Looks like alot of work unless I can somehow extend the reach of my pole saw.

cdaigle430.....

In my evolution of learning about tree work, I tried a "High Limb" rope chain saw chain. It worked great on some 6-8" dia limbs in a Cottonwood tree. Like any saw, sawing from the ground, it occasionally got in a bind, but I was able to extract it someway. Now (today) as I continue working along my back Osage Orange hedgerow, I'm using my manual extendable (3 sections---18ft) ARS (brand) pole saw with an 18 inch saw blade. Sometime I work out of the bed of my truck to give me a little more reach.

Thanks for your comments ArlyA.
Cheers,
Mike

/ pole saws at work (photos) #47  
Here is how to get through a popl top. This took nearly an hour but the pole saw rocks at this job. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P1060117.jpg
    P1060117.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 113
  • P1060119.jpg
    P1060119.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 110
  • P1060125.jpg
    P1060125.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 104
  • P1060123.jpg
    P1060123.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 115
  • P1060122.jpg
    P1060122.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 103
   / pole saws at work (photos) #49  
That 17win 7 must be an engineer......

What a rig!

/ pole saws at work (photos) #50  
I have a dream .... err ... plan.

I have a branch hanging over a telephone wire. Not normally much of a problem unless it gets wet and windy while the leaves are on. It's roughly 20-25 above ground and probably no more than 3-4" diameter. But it's Red Oak, so not easy to use a push/pull pole saw. Tree crews want $500 minimum and I'm not sure I want their big boom truck on the yard.

Some pictures somewhere here gave me the idea to be able to mount a pole saw on the FEL using some sort of tripod arrangement with rigid conduit and cables. I have a Remington electric pole saw....

Use a Remington 12 gauge instead?