Poly lawn rollers any good?

/ Poly lawn rollers any good? #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Well, I forgot to drain my cheap steel lawn roller last fall and you know the rest. Are these poly ones durable, like from minor impacts or being stored out in the sun?

John

/ Poly lawn rollers any good? #2  
I bought the steel one from sears - it was the same price as the poly one at the time and the salesperson told me he has the poly one himself and it makes the grass black when the lawn was warm - not sure on how true it is

/ Poly lawn rollers any good? #3  
I had a poly one, but sold it. I did not like it because it "gave" to much, it would just flex over a rock instead of pushing it down. It would also get a big flat spot in it when it sat for a long period of time.

I would either buy a new steel one, or if you have a welder (or a friend that does) fix the old one. Also, fill it with sand and never looks back!

/ Poly lawn rollers any good? #4  
kennyd said:
I had a poly one, but sold it. I did not like it because it "gave" to much, it would just flex over a rock instead of pushing it down. It would also get a big flat spot in it when it sat for a long period of time.

I would either buy a new steel one, or if you have a welder (or a friend that does) fix the old one. Also, fill it with sand and never looks back!

You got me curious about filling a roller with sand... have you or anyone else done this and how much does it weigh with sand vs. water? I have a 900lb. water filled steel roller but I've thought about sand.

/ Poly lawn rollers any good? #5  
RickO said:
You got me curious about filling a roller with sand... have you or anyone else done this and how much does it weigh with sand vs. water? I have a 900lb. water filled steel roller but I've thought about sand.

When I bought the poly roller, the instructions listed the approximate full weights with water and sand, but I cannot remember witch one was more-but I think it was sand...

/ Poly lawn rollers any good?
Gentlemen,

I appreciate the input on this. Looks like the plastic loses to the metal except in the rust department.

The freezing blew out the weld at the axle, which is fixable, but it also bulged the cylinder from circular into an oval.

Sears has the metal $150 18"x36" on sale for $120. It will be here Wed.

Thanks,

John