Pond aeration ideas

/ Pond aeration ideas #1  

lww05

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX23
The small 1/2 acre or so pond we have is warming up and so it's time to get some aeration going. In the past, I got out for practically free using a 5 gallon bucket with holes and some type of fiber mat filter material on the outside with a small fountain pump I already had on hand. I used a short piece of 3/8 tubing on the discharge aimed out toward the middle of the pond. This has worked fine but even that fiber filter needs some tendin to every now and then.

I'd really like to have a better setup and am looking to hear some ideas. We tried the ready made type you throw out and plug in but there was not enough volume of movement of water to be effective especially for around $200.

I have seen one in a pond somewhere that sprayed up in a funnel shaped pattern and it really looked like it was moving some water. This is what I'd like to get close to doing without having to break the bank. Most places I have pulled up on the net so far have hardware for the very small ponds with Koi and such.

Any ideas or links welcome.

Larry

/ Pond aeration ideas #2  
Take a look at this web site for ideas and equipment:

ThePondGuy

/ Pond aeration ideas #3  
Iww - I'd loan you my "Live Areator" if your pond was closer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ps: For some unknown reason, all the floating algae shown in the picture disappeared in approx. 8 weeks. Only thing I did was dump in 12 dozen crappie minnows.

Attachments

• 682746-Pond Algae - Otto.jpg
    682746-Pond Algae - Otto.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 719
   / Pond aeration ideas #4  
In the past Ive had customers that had tractors that wanted me to make them a mechanical aerator from a car axle and add some paddles to run it frm the pto. One year I made one from a car axle then added an elect ric motor and a 15 to 1 gear box to make a slower paddle that could move som scoop shaped pans in the water to aerate it. Ive even made a few out of a series of boat props attachet to a lo0ng shaft with bearings that held onto the 3 point driven from the pto. The pumps cavitae and cause air to be drawn down into the pond If electric is avalable Id check out a few industrial surpls shops for submersible pumps. or such to make the right abount of bubble.

/ Pond aeration ideas #5  
It really is cheaper to move air instead of water. Fountains are attractive and if that is your goal, then go for it. However, for fishing ponds, I would recommend a system that uses an air pump on shore, a length of self-weighted hose, and and a manifold with airstones in the deepest part of your pond. The air bubbles rise to the surface, aerating the water on the way as well as mixing and destratifying the pond. You can make one yourself, or check here for ready-made systems or components.

/ Pond aeration ideas #6  
What happens if you don't aerate it? Does it start to grow scum then? Mine drops a lot of water in hot weather, but it never seems to get anything floating on top, always stays "clean", don't have a clue what I might be doing right (or wrong!)

Attachments

• 683131-Picture006_27Jun05.jpg
    683131-Picture006_27Jun05.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 261
   / Pond aeration ideas
Jagmandave
The pond is doing pretty well with the exception of losing water, I think mostly from evaporation. The catfish are fine along with the zillions of bream. We always started up some type of aeration for the hot months just to up the odds for not losing any fish. No surface scum. The water is about the same color as yours. We pump water into it from a springfed creek

fishman,
No I don't necessarily need a fountain like look. I like your idea of air pump with airstones. Now to find the right $$ for a setup.