Pond bank mower

/ Pond bank mower #11  
Renze said:
I know guys in England that overfill their tractor engines to make sure the oil pressure doesnt drop when topping pastures at extreme slopes.

What happens to the extra oil when they get back on level land?

/ Pond bank mower #12  
1bush2hog said:
What happens to the extra oil when they get back on level land?
I they're diesels, it gets whipped and picked up by the crankcase ventilation system. That's when the real excitement starts!

/ Pond bank mower #13  
zac said:
what about an offset sickle bar?

Exactly what I was thinking. Auctions usually have old 8 to 10 foot ones for little money. Would be much faster than a mower on a stick. Less of a conversation starter though.

jb

Like my mom use to say, "you might be slow and dumb, but you're not good looking!"

/ Pond bank mower #14  
A long time ago on this site a fella mounted a deck mower off his 3 point. I believe he was able to raise & lower it using the 3 point and tilt it the same way - built a frame that telescoped out to the side and mounted the deck mower on it.

/ Pond bank mower #16  
wickedinhere said:
I have been trying to figure a way to mow my pond banks instead of using a string trimmer. I was thinking of buying a push mower and hook a chain at all 4 corners then hook all the chains to one eye hook. I would then attach a 12 foot 4x4 to the fel bucket and attach the mower to the end of the 4x4 using the chains. I would lower and raise the mower as needed and if i hit something the chains would give. The reason for wanting to do this is that my pond banks have some erosion spots that make it hard to mow or trim and i could just drop the mower right on top of the hard to reach spots. I know it sounds dangerous and crazy but it just might work any suggestions. Please no ugly comments!

WIH,

Don't know if you caught my post on Pond Boss (This is "Bobad"), but I have been thinking about a gasoline powered hedge trimmer mounted on the FEL bucket.

I think your idea may be better... and certainly cheaper. I can't think of anything inherently unsafe about it, or any problems that can't be easily overcome. If yo drive slowly, I'm not even sure you would need a suspension, as the FEL could quickly be picked up if you are about to hit something. (don't know about you, but my pond banks are cleaner than my back yard)

Your idea immediately made me think how you could remove the mower wheels, and run 1/2" or 5/8" rods through the axle holes and use them to attach the deck to the FEL bucket.

/ Pond bank mower #17  
I've had good luck mowing around my pond by backing the brush hog down to waters edge, even dipping the tailwheel in the water.

/ Pond bank mower #18  
Alan L. said:
I've had good luck mowing around my pond by backing the brush hog down to waters edge, even dipping the tailwheel in the water.

Just tried that - it worked for me too.

On the boom mounted mower - if you could get into the crankcase and rig a small pump to feed an oil passage in the engine maybe you could have a remote reservoir and pump oil to the engine from there. A dry sump system wouldn't care about the attitude of the engine.

Or try an aerobatic airplane engine. Those are cheap, used. ;)

/ Pond bank mower
Hey bo, i am gonna use my trimmer and get the pond banks cleaned up tomorrow before i go on vacation then i will get on this project when i return. There not overgrown but i hate the way it looks. More to come shortly.

/ Pond bank mower #20  
Hopefully these Plans will work for you. Its plans for a 3 point hitch gas powered sidearm cutter for ditches and banks.
By the way, its a PDF file.