Pond digging question

/ Pond digging question #12  
The limits of the longest reaching foliage in all directions. If you were in a balloon above the tree the dripline would be where you could see the dirt beneath.

Supposedly the roots only reach out as far as the branches. I find it depends on soil type but I have never seen the roots go any farther than the dripline unless they were seeking a sewer line for nutrients and moisture.

/ Pond digging question #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Supposedly the roots only reach out as far as the branches. I find it depends on soil type but I have never seen the roots go any farther than the dripline unless they were seeking a sewer line for nutrients and moisture. )</font>

This is also highly dependant on tree species.

/ Pond digging question
I see, that's kinda what I thought, based on the name, but wanted to make sure.

How do Sycamore roots compare to other trees? Do they spread out more, less, or about the same?

/ Pond digging question #16  
Well, Dooleysm, looks like you have a solution and don't recognize it. Rebuild the dam where it is, let the tree roots cause a leak and wash away the stuff your neighbor has that you do not want to see.
Now on a more serious note. What we have done in the past with a similar problem is to move the dam up hill a little. Dig out the pond to get some depth. You can use the dirt from the old dam to help with building a new one, just be careful not to kill the trees. If you go 15 or 20 feet from the old dam, that will probably be sufficient.

/ Pond digging question #17  
Ok, so I'm in trouble here too?
The darker green area is the front side of the dam. Sorry the pic is so dark, it was later that evening than I realized. I've been wondering why my pond goes down so quickly, but I'm not seeing any wet areas on the dam face...........

Attachments

• 639972-MVC-022F.JPG
    639972-MVC-022F.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 238
   / Pond digging question #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ok, so I'm in trouble here too?
The darker green area is the front side of the dam. Sorry the pic is so dark, it was later that evening than I realized. I've been wondering why my pond goes down so quickly, but I'm not seeing any wet areas on the dam face........... )</font>

I am by no means an expert on ponds, but in my opinion if you don't yet have leaks caused by those roots, it's just a matter of time until you do.

/ Pond digging question #19  
So, what's the answer? Chop down the tree? Let it grow till it empties the pond? Let all the water out and build a tennis court or helipad? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Pond digging question #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Let all the water out and build a tennis court or helipad? )</font>

Pave it and charge admission to the skateboarders. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif