Pond Issue....

/ Pond Issue.... #31  
Well, no, it wouldn't be using the emergency spillway all the time.... normally 90-95% of the time the overflow has handled the amount of water just fine, other than needing a concrete tailrace. However, we just went on record as having the wettest February ever recorded... so this was unusual for our area/timeframe.

I agree with that. My seasonal springs were literally spouting water! But you have to prepare for the worst thing that you expect during the time you'll have the pond.

/ Pond Issue.... #32  
You shouldn't build a pond in the wetter parts of the USA that has a watershed area exceeding ten times the area of the pond. If you build a small pond in a large watershed, provision needs to be made to divert some water before it gets to the pond. My two quarter acre ponds have a combined watershed of only about 2.5 acres, and they stay full enough, and survive big rains fine, without noticeable erosion of grassy spillways. For example, if I could build a pond on the intermittent creek that runs through my place, it would need to be about 50-60 acres, as the watershed exceeds 500 acres for that creek.

/ Pond Issue.... #33  
You shouldn't build a pond in the wetter parts of the USA that has a watershed area exceeding ten times the area of the pond.

DUH ... never underestimate the power of water! ALL ponds are temporary.