Pond project, and some other stuff...

/ Pond project, and some other stuff... #41  
Great project! I look forward to watching the progress, and as usual, your place is looking great. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pond project, and some other stuff...
Ok here are a few more pics. I still have many more to come. This is an area close to the pond that I just tilled. Just posting a pic of what a great job the tiller did.

Attachments

• 506096-tilled1.jpg
    506096-tilled1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 210
Here im tilling the inner portion of the pond. The line that you see where the tilled soil meets the hardpan, that is about where the waterline will be.

Attachments

• 506098-tilled2.jpg
    506098-tilled2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 218
Another area just tilled. The corn is ready to pick too!!

Attachments

• 506102-tilled3.jpg
    506102-tilled3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 179
Here I am tilling the back side of the dam. You can see here what a nice seedbed the tiller makes. However, especially on a dam, its important that you wait until the end of september (In my area, Southern Illinois) to plant if you are going to be using a tiller. Because the tiller makes the soil very loose, and if you were to get a heavy rain, it would make big gullies fast. Around here, the chances of heavy rain after September are slim to none. You can plant earlier if you are going to be using a disk. Just a little tip that the Soil Conservation Office gave me. They are in charge of this whole project by the way. They are funding 2/3rds of it.

Attachments

• 506108-tilled4.jpg
    506108-tilled4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 191
Here is a pic of the dam at the end of the day, all tilled and ready to seed. I got it fertilized, seeded and covered in straw by Sept. 28th. So my timing should be good. I will post more pictures soon as the pond fills up and grass starts growing on the dam. As directed by the Soil Conservation office, I planted a mixture of Fescue, Ryegrass, Wheat, and Alfalfa.
I also just picked up 15 Bald Cypress and 10 Flowering Dogwoods to plant in the area as well. We are going to be building a large dock within the next 2 weeks, and starting our log home right by the pond this coming May. I will post pictures of both of these projects also on this thread.

Attachments

• 506113-alltilled.jpg
    506113-alltilled.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 245
   / Pond project, and some other stuff... #47  
Did you put in 1 spillway or 2? The pond I put in 7 years ago is only 1 1/4 acres and I used an 18" PVC spillway, and after very heavy rains it doesn't keep up and the water goes out my emergency spillway. I know what you mean about weight, it was all two large guys could do to carry one 20' section of 18" plastic pipe. I remember lubing up the ends so the trackhoe could push them together. The guy who sold the pipe said that I could just use a 2X6 and pry them together. Yeah, right!

/ Pond project, and some other stuff... #48  
It has been awhile since any updates were posted. What's the latest? Is it all done yet? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif