Rake Pond Rake

/ Pond Rake
The Grass Carp like to collect in a shallow end sunning themselves in the late afternoon. From a distance, their backs look like floating turtles. Submerging with a violent splash when I get close. Otherwise, they stay deep.

I was able to catch the Blue Heron fishing for bass on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICyUbGPPDJE

/ Pond Rake #12  
My father in law had 2 good sized ponds that he built.
He stocked some carp the first year and the pickerel, brook trout showed up a little later from the stream.
He had so many dragonflies that you couldn't find a mosquito if you tried.
The carp did a good job keeping the vegetation under control.
One winter an otter appeared and almost cleaned the carp out.

/ Pond Rake #13  
Awesome build! I want to build one too but I have a slightly different idea.

I want to start with an old galvanized 2 wheel boat trailer. Preferably an 18 footer or more. I think I'll have to fill the tires with liquid to keep the weight out on the end, but also to keep it from digging too deep. I want to put a hinged 3 point system on the back end of the trailer, using hydraulics to swivel it down into "dig" position. I figured I'd just use the drawbar on the tractor with a trailer ball to operate it. I would weld a long piece of square stock, cut into sections and welded into a "C" (for ground clearance as needed) to the front of the trailer to extend it further into the pond. I don't have cattails, but plenty of other shoreline vegetation. I was also thinking of using it with my 6' box blade to pull out silt. This would be a slow process, needing to let the dredged silt dry for a week or more in order to scoop it up with the FEL and haul it to low areas needing fill.

It would be nice to have a skid steer to operate it with so not so much neck craning. I haven't thought about hooking in place of the FEL bucket and using that to raise and lower the angle of attack. Hummmm.

/ Pond Rake #16  
You are the reason I love TBN!!! This is just brilliant. What I like the best is that I have a home made rake that is just sitting there that I rarely use. Last year I bought the Weedrazer Home for a hundred bucks that did OK at cutting the weeds. It was very physical work and it took multiple attempts to get an area cleared. Slow going at best. Then the plants just grow back because all it does is cut them off. The roots are still there.

I like your method a lot more. You get the roots and it looks like all it takes is one pass to clear it out. I even have a couple of 20 foot steel 2x4's laying in my shipping container!!!

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Pond Rake #17  
Ingenious idea McCasky! I can definitely see one of those in my future.

/ Pond Rake #18  
I like it but the Minnesota DNR would jump down my throat if I tried to use it.

/ Pond Rake #19  
Awesome build! I want to build one too but I have a slightly different idea.

I want to start with an old galvanized 2 wheel boat trailer. Preferably an 18 footer or more. I think I'll have to fill the tires with liquid to keep the weight out on the end, but also to keep it from digging too deep. I want to put a hinged 3 point system on the back end of the trailer, using hydraulics to swivel it down into "dig" position. I figured I'd just use the drawbar on the tractor with a trailer ball to operate it. I would weld a long piece of square stock, cut into sections and welded into a "C" (for ground clearance as needed) to the front of the trailer to extend it further into the pond. I don't have cattails, but plenty of other shoreline vegetation. I was also thinking of using it with my 6' box blade to pull out silt. This would be a slow process, needing to let the dredged silt dry for a week or more in order to scoop it up with the FEL and haul it to low areas needing fill.

It would be nice to have a skid steer to operate it with so not so much neck craning. I haven't thought about hooking in place of the FEL bucket and using that to raise and lower the angle of attack. Hummmm.

Sounds like a good time to put a receiver hitch on the bucket! :thumbsup:

/ Pond Rake #20  
Awesome! Did you have to sacrifice a regular landscape rake to get the tines or did you buy all of them individually and bolt/weld them on? I really need one of these for my pond, been using my loader bucket to drag out some floating grass that is near the bank but would be really nice to have about 10ft more reach.