Pond Renovation/Remake

/ Pond Renovation/Remake
With the old gone and the new needed I put the finishing touches on the pond itself. Ready for the liner.....which I just got today.

Attachments

• 689964-100_1448.JPG
    689964-100_1448.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 292
   / Pond Renovation/Remake
Rocks, I can not believe I paid money for rocks. This is one ton of them, which the nice lady says will get me started........

Also got the liner, waterfall pump, water fall liner, filter liner and hose today

Attachments

• 689965-100_1450.JPG
    689965-100_1450.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 306
   / Pond Renovation/Remake
Next is the waterfall/filter. Here we saved about 70.00 dollars on making the filter part of the falls liner. Kind of simple, dig hole, stuff in liner, fill with lava rock, bring hose from pump and fill. One of the "waterfall" setups is about 70.00 for this size falls.

Also started making the shelves for the falls. We will have 3.

Attachments

• 689966-100_1451.JPG
    689966-100_1451.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 310
   / Pond Renovation/Remake
The rocks for the falls. One of these is for the "top" to the filter. Where the hole is in the top mound, I will build up around this to make a liner shelf, mortar rocks around it to secure it the liner. then have a top that can be removed to change filter material

Attachments

• 689967-100_1454.JPG
    689967-100_1454.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 263
   / Pond Renovation/Remake
Better shot of the hole in the top mound. This is not deep enough yet and will be about 1 foot square and 18" deep. It will serve a falls that is about 18" wide. Our pump is 2200 gal per hour, more than I thought about needing.

Attachments

• 689970-100_1452.JPG
    689970-100_1452.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 290
   / Pond Renovation/Remake
A hose from the pump in front of the pond will be covered/buried to come up behind the mound and fill the filter. This was the one part I was concerned about but the folks at the pond store reminded me that a couple months of running, you will not see the hose/pump etc. They recommend a black bucket with 1/4 inch holes to put the pump in to keep it from sucking fish to it. I may be looking for a bit smaller bucket.

Attachments

• 689975-100_14481.jpg
    689975-100_14481.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 281
   / Pond Renovation/Remake #17  
Danny,

It's looking good!!

I like the layout and all your preperations. Are you going to run lights? Those underwater ones are kind of pricey, but a string of low voltage lights around the area really set it off, especiall a spot light or two on the waterfall.

Your dirt for the water fall apears a little loose. It could be the picture, but if it is loose soil, you could have movement issues down the road.

I hate to undo your work, but I'd highly reckomend you put a hose to it, then start mixing it with your fell until you can grab a handful of it and squeeze it, with it holding together. Then put it back into position in layers usuing your fell to compact and spread it.

If you do this, it will be much more solid, less likely to move and hold it's shape better. Then when you put your liner over it and then your rocks, you will have a solid base.

I also like to have a slightly lower spot in the bottom for the pump. When you drain your pond, it does a better job. You will also be able to put the pump on some bricks leaving a space underneath it for sludge, and debri to settle in one place that wont place your pump at risk by moving it.

Keeping the pump as far away from you water fall is a good idea for circulating the water.

The shelves are a nice touch for plants that prefer shallow water, but I would only have the shelves at a few places and kep the sidewalls as steep as you can. Those shelves get used by racoons and cranes for killing your goldfish. If there is no easy way in and out, preditors have more dificulty getting to your animals. You also minimize the warmer water for algae to grow.

When you get to planting plants, I found that the plastic bins used in kitchen sinks work really well. Prices for the planters specialized for ponds are crazy.

Another alternative to mortoring in the rocks is liquid nails and expanding foam. Both work great, but are gonna be more money then mortor. Walmart has them much, much cheaper then any body else.

Hope I helped,
Eddie

/ Pond Renovation/Remake
Dirt is loose, and I had thought of wetting it down to sort of settle it.

The pump will be in a pail or something to help eliminate sludge and keep the fish from being sucked to it. Dont have that yet though. There will eventually be lots of plants, hence the plant shelves. The one side is 9 to 12 inches deep while the other is 15".

I actually had thought of setting at least part of the pump under the bottom level, but not sure if I have the liner enough for it now. May see about that, even if it is only 6" or so.

I hope to get the liner in today, and the waterfalls liner at least on and see how it looks. Going to trench along for the pipe to the filter and get that in ground also.

/ Pond Renovation/Remake
Been a while since I posted photos, and will post some soon as IT QUITS RAINING, and I can get near the pond, which is now mostly mud. Got some done today, changed the waterfall a bit, got it reformed, wetted down (rain caught me), and got some cleanup done. We have the rocks and all for the falls, now just need to finish out the built in filter, get the liner set, lay the rocks in and get a photo of that, then take apart and mortar them in place. .......... Again, when it quits raining.

Did get one thing done good, with the downpour the gutters on the house were overflowing, all the junk in them had come to the downs, so I got out the ladder and cleaned them out.

Now I have to finish an inside project, island for the kitchen........head to the hd and the local flea market for some tile/plates to break up and make the top. Photos when I am done

/ Pond Renovation/Remake
Found these of filling the pond to get the liner to stay in place, and while this is filling had to move it around some. Man that water was cold.

Attachments

• 694264-100_1458.JPG
    694264-100_1458.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 227