Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #11  
Cowboy, Bird or someone else near North Texas,

What kind of clay is available in this area for sealing tanks and can it be bough dry or do I have to spread it out, let it dry, and then get a dozer to run over it to crush it so it can be spread evenly in a tank? Guess anyone may know the answer to this question regardless of where you live.

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #12  
Wen, I'm afraid I have no idea, except for that high priced bentonite.

Bird

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #13  
Yeah, I sure wish someone slipped a decimal point!!!

I always though that it just took a small amount, but that hasn't panned out so far. Left word for another guy and never heard back from him. Now that things are dry, I need to get that done with the tank empty. Need a bull dozer and operator for a day and 4 loads of dry clay!

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #14  
Wen, a few years ago when I was checking about the bentonite, I was told that a quarter inch layer was all that would be needed to seal a pond. I sure don't know how you would spread it that thin and get adequate coverage.

Bird

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #15  
Interesting, that is exactly what is calculates out to be. 1/4 inch over a 135 ft diameter for $5500.

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #16  
Wen,
What you need to do is fence the pond and buy you two or three pigs. By the time the pigs are large enough to butcher, your pond will be sealed. The pig route is a lot cheaper and tastier.
JerryG

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #17  
Unfortunately the CC&R's prohibit pigs, but cows are ok and have heard that it works. Just somehow can't believe it works better than clay.

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #18  
Wen,

I just happen to know where, a LOT of clay is at. It came out of the bottom of a tank. I tried calling the man, they're gone for the weekend. I think the last quote I heard, he was asking around 10.00 a load for it (Not Quoteable) (12 yard I think) plus trucking and loading. If you are interested let me know, and I'll get in touch with him and find out details. You will probably have to arrange trucking and loading, or I can arrange it for you, on my end. In my experience with ponds "tanks". If you do not have clay soil in your area, haul in, and dozer spread is usually a less expensive alternative to drilling mud, with very little difference in the performance of the finished product.

An expensive piece of advice (@ no charge). When you are having a tank dug, a core sample in the area you intend to dig in, down to a depth of about 5 feet below the intended finshed bottom, is money WELL spent. Should there be a rock or gravel bed within a few feet of your intended finished bottom, your tank will never properly hold water. The rock will allow the water to, leach away. The only fix is clay or drilling mud. I read the post about using the hay. Don't know about that one, never done it, seen it, or heard of it done, until now.

There is a lot of details about tank digging that should be considered. Location is the first and foremost of importantance, sub surface soil type, dam up a wash or dig it out, excavators knowledge of digging/building a tank, grade at the inlet and outlet/spillway, spillways ability to overflow without washout and, so on. There is a lot more involved, than digging a big hole in the earth.

I guess I got carried away again.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #19  
If I remember correctly bentonite is a mineral and is largely produced in Wyoming?? And again if memory serves me correcty it is the major component used in Drilling fluid ("Mud") in oil and gas well drilling/production.
Wen you might want to check around being in Texas you might be able to get it pretty resonable from an oilfield supply co. ?? It seems to me Dresser industries was one the companies that supplied bentonite in 70lbs sacks??
If you know of any rigs working nearby you might ask if you could buy some.

/ Pond Sealing -> Sodium Bentonite #20  
Well, I am ready to go. Would be best to find a dozer operatorwho will work with the hauler as I am sure he wants the clay dumped in the bottom of the tank with a ramp since it is dry as power now. I have used Leslie Fiulley (not spelled correctly) from Weatherford, but he has a job for the next 2 to 3 weeks.

I need about 3-4 hours for a dozer (or tracked loader) to clean out and shape the tank and make a ramp for the trucks so the clay can be packed in the bottom and sides to line the tank with the clay. It is 135 ft in diameter. There is some wash on one side from the water running in and a 4 ft cut on the same side that would be best leveled to allow a nice slope to work on. It is solid rock at 9 1/2 feet. The basic soil is caliche.

If you know anyone that could (or would) do this, please let me know. I live between Azle and Weatherford off FM730 about 3 miles from Azle. Ihave a 32 foot gate coming on the place. If I get this tank fixed where it will hold water, my grandson will probably get to catch the most expensive fish around (without a boat).