Buying Advice Poor cond 9N toy to B7100 2wd 3cyn

/ Poor cond 9N toy to B7100 2wd 3cyn #1  

hdgib

I recently bought a home in rural FL. I have 3.5 acres and another 3 acres of dry lake bed. My second hand box store disposable rider mower died again (second time in 2 months) I don't do much to need a tractor really, but I do move things around and would probably enjoy playing on a tractor rather then buying a mow only lawn mower. With the tough grass needs and the size for a new rider or even a good used one it almost puts me in the used compact tractor price range.
I found a gray model Kubota B6000E no attachments but from what I have read here the reverse engine would cause unneeded problems, it was $1500. Someone else has a 1988 B7100-HST with turf tires and a 'needs a little work' 48 inch belly mower (wheels and u-joints) for $2200. Does this also have a reverse engine? I have an old 1943 Ford 9N that needs break seals and a King pin still up in TN with a bush hog, grader blade, dirt scoop, cultivator, and found a front end loader for it too. I will be bringing it all down here to sell at some point. Will any of the implements work on the Kubota? (I know the loader won't )I read somewhere about cat 1 and cat 2 3PHs and 1" 10 verse 25 MM shafts and all, and really don't know what they are talking about other then size and groves. If I have to buy all different attachments the I might as well keep the 9N get it fixed and get a finish mower. I thought the B7100-HST being a 3 cylinder Diesel may have more power then the N And of course being a few decades newer might be easier to maintain.
I might drag around a few trees, run a 3PH log splitter (if the tractor has juice) Use the dirt scoop to move things around and maybe bush hog the tall grass areas. Maybe even get a tiller for a 1/4 acre garden.
Your thoughts?
Thanks for your time.
HDGib

/ Poor cond 9N toy to B7100 2wd 3cyn #2  
I recently bought a home in rural FL. I have 3.5 acres and another 3 acres of dry lake bed. My second hand box store disposable rider mower died again (second time in 2 months) I don't do much to need a tractor really, but I do move things around and would probably enjoy playing on a tractor rather then buying a mow only lawn mower. With the tough grass needs and the size for a new rider or even a good used one it almost puts me in the used compact tractor price range.
I found a gray model Kubota B6000E no attachments but from what I have read here the reverse engine would cause unneeded problems, it was $1500. Someone else has a 1988 B7100-HST with turf tires and a 'needs a little work' 48 inch belly mower (wheels and u-joints) for $2200. Does this also have a reverse engine? I have an old 1943 Ford 9N that needs break seals and a King pin still up in TN with a bush hog, grader blade, dirt scoop, cultivator, and found a front end loader for it too. I will be bringing it all down here to sell at some point. Will any of the implements work on the Kubota? (I know the loader won't )I read somewhere about cat 1 and cat 2 3PHs and 1" 10 verse 25 MM shafts and all, and really don't know what they are talking about other then size and groves. If I have to buy all different attachments the I might as well keep the 9N get it fixed and get a finish mower. I thought the B7100-HST being a 3 cylinder Diesel may have more power then the N And of course being a few decades newer might be easier to maintain.
I might drag around a few trees, run a 3PH log splitter (if the tractor has juice) Use the dirt scoop to move things around and maybe bush hog the tall grass areas. Maybe even get a tiller for a 1/4 acre garden.
Your thoughts?
Thanks for your time.
HDGib

The B7100 sounds like a great deal for that price. Your lucky i dont live closer, i'd be bringin' it home at that price. :D:laughing: The *n more than likely has category 1 links and so the pins thus would be category 1. The dirt scoop will work on the bota but for the grader blade, cultivator, and brush hog would be depending on size. You cant use a 5 foot brush hog on a B7100 and mow thick or tall grass easily. If it is a 4 footer, its all clear. If it is a 5 foot blade, the bota will pull it great but would struggle with a 6 footer. What type of cultivator? spring tooth? max of a 5 footer. The bota may have more engine hp but not as much pulling power. The 8n was specifically a farm tractor thus it had a strong tranny and lower gears for more torque. Also, the tires are much bigger on the 8n which also would help for traction. For a log splitter, it isnt hard to run hydraulic lines from the tractor or consider i pull behind one with its own contained engine and pump. For a tiller, look at the 4 foot models, great size and will not be to much for the PTO to power. My 50" tiller is to big for my 16 pto hp yanmar. But I run it in loose ground and go slow with a constant eye on the tiller. Good luck with the decision. And be sure to post pictures when you bring er' home. :thumbsup:

/ Poor cond 9N toy to B7100 2wd 3cyn
Thanks for the help. I will have time to look at the 7100 tomorrow I hope it's still available because I feel it will suit my needs better then a big mower.
The blade is 5 foot, I think the bushhog is 4 feet might be 5. I think the culitivator is one of the orgional ones that came with the "9N" as a package it kind of folds in the middle and has metal discs. I am not a farmer so I can't say much about it except it's heavy and I really don't see much use for it with out a field to plant. My wood splitter has no motor or hyd pump, just lines I would need to hook up to a tractor with hyd fittings for attachments. Does the 7100 have any I will find out tomorrow.
So the difference between cat 1 and cat 2 are the size of the pins? That makes sense. I did pick up a pin somewhere that won't fit the 9N lift arms and all of the attachments i have are smaller and fit the 9N so hopefully they will fit the 7100.
Do front end loaders fit in the 2WD B7100? I know the 9N really was to light to have a loader but wagner made one that will fit it, but I feel it would be a strain on the front end on such a small tractor. Not that I need a loader, but just thinking if some time in the future I run across one, can it be used with the B7100 2WD 3cy? That is how I found the Wagner loader with pump for the 9N for $300 .

/ Poor cond 9N toy to B7100 2wd 3cyn #4  
A FEL is surely a possibility. But definatly wont cost $300, but around $2k-$3k depending on the one you like. Used can be down to $750 if your lucky. Get ballast on the tractor when using a FEL with 2wd because if the back tires leave the ground and you are on a hill, you have no brakes to stop.

/ Poor cond 9N toy to B7100 2wd 3cyn #5  
If you are interested I have a 1985 B7100HST-E and I installed a small front end loader on it, I had from a small previous tractor. I had to modify it, but it works great and sure beats a shovel. By the way the pto shaft does turn in the right direction and is a 6 spline 1 3/8" shaft. I bought this tractor from my nephew for $2000 and got the tiller, 60" belly mower and a 5' scrape blade with it. I have since also got a 5' box scrape. If you would like to check out my FEL project, just go to search at the top of this page, click on search and then type in my screen name and click on search. Go to the second page of my posts and you will see installing a FEL, click on it and you will be able to see it. If, I can help in any way let me know. zman;)