Portable band saw w/stand

/ Portable band saw w/stand #1  

SkogenMe

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC48DA
I have looking at portable band saws with stands and would be interested in anyones experiences with them. There seems to be quite a price difference from the Northern/Grizzly at $140 for saw and stand to Milwaukee at $300 for just the stand...you provide the portable band saw! I realize that they are somewhat apples to oranges but the difference is alittle hard to justify for home use. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks
Milwaukee stand
Grizzly Saw/ stand

/ Portable band saw w/stand #2  
I bought a 4 1/2" stand bandsaw from Big Lots many years ago. It lasted three cuts before I gave it to my brother /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. The blade would make almost one whole revolution before flying off.

Then I picked up a cheapie from Northern Hydraulics (Ok, Northern Tool nowdays). I kept it for a few years but it has many of the same problems plus it was a bear to get the blade back on straight. This one went to the brother-in-law since my brother was still fighting the first one.

Sears had one on sale and I got it even though it cost over twice what either of the others cost. I liked this one Ok but it leaked oil over everything and I couldn't make it square with the blade. Gave that one to my father. He never did forgive me for that.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I had an old Grainger unit that worked great but I wore it out building cookers and log splitters. Man I miss that saw...

Recently, I bought a Dewalt portable bandsaw and LOVE IT! I could never see the reason for a portable and thought they were silly. Until I used one. Now Im converted. I cut braces off of 3pt equipment I was modifying and it saved me hours of sawsall work.

Knowing what I know now, I would have bought the Milwaukee unit with the stand. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

As with anything (and more with stand bandsaws), you get what you pay for. Don't fight a cheap unit!

Of course, I'm more than happy to spend YOUR money /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Portable band saw w/stand
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Of course, I'm more than happy to spend YOUR money )</font>

Yeah my brother tells me that is how I operate with him too...
Thanks for the thoughts.
It doesn't seem as tho' the Milwaukee models have a switch lock so I guess even with a stand you need to be right there...probably safer but I got used to using a cut-off band saw that had an automatic shutoff switch.
thanks

/ Portable band saw w/stand #4  
Hey SkogenMe, spend the money and getter done right the first time.
I went out to buy a 200 dollar cheap one at local farm store, out of curiosity stopped at Menards and the Jet was only 60 bucks more. There is no comparision , the Jet is worth twice as much and 10 times better. The Jet has large bearings for the blade, others done't, heavy metal verses cheap tin, automatic shutoff, heavy duty stand and a first rate paint job. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Portable band saw w/stand #5  
I bought a $300 bandsaw from Tools And Treasures about 1987.
Tools and Treasures (now defunct) is similar to Harbor Freight.
It does an ok job, but it has a lot of vibration.
If it didn't have the vibration it would be a great saw.

Delta makes a good bandsaw.
Powermatic makes an EXCELLENT bandsaw, but pricey.

Mostly turn it on and run it. Watch for vibration.
Look at the upper and lower blade guides.
Are they bearings or just solid pieces. Bearings are better.

Get at least a 14inch 2wheel bandsaw.
Stay away from the little 3wheel bandsaws.
The wheels are small and the tighter turning radius stresses the blade welds too much.

Good Luck.

Pooh Bear

/ Portable band saw w/stand #6  
We are talking about (steel cutting bandsaws) aren't we? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Unless you have alot of mobile use for the saws listed, I would still go with the Jet, can also be used in the vertical position.

/ Portable band saw w/stand
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We are talking about (steel cutting bandsaws) aren't we?)</font>
yup that is what I was talking about /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I was heading this way portable band saw

but I think what you are trying to point out is that unless I really have a great need for the portability it would cost less and end up with something alot more capable to go this way jet metal bandsaw

The Jet is similar to one I used many (too many) years ago in a machine shop and was very nice.

thanks much for the thoughts

/ Portable band saw w/stand #8  
You might also post an inquiry on a machinist's message board like the one attached. I seem to recall some good comments on certain inexpensive saws of that style. Also attached is a FAQ page for saws of the style I think you are looking at.

Horizontal/Vertical Saw FAQ

The Home Machinist

PS. It looks like the FAQ link doesn't take you all the way to that link. You need to find the link titled "4X6 Bandsaw Faq -Modifications And Tips" under the "Link Pages" heading

/ Portable band saw w/stand #9  
Buy a good one! You will use it more than you think. I have a Milwaukee saw and the Horizontal stand you mention is pricey - but have seen em on ebay for much less - but not very often. I made a vertical stand for my portable Milwaukee saw that works great , real simple with a small (6" x 8") base. Install the stand and put in my vise to operate. No switch on lock is a little inconvenient but I use a low tech spring clamp. I have a large 14" vertical , and even larger horizontal metal bandsaw in the shop. I wind up using the portable most of the time.

/ Portable band saw w/stand #10  
We bought one at harbor freight for 140$ ( same unit at tsc for 180$ ), and use it at work. We had to buy the blades at tsc, as the harbor freight blades only lasted a few cuts.. however the TSC blades do fine.. i think we repalce them about once a year.. or sooner if we do alot of cuting...

In short.. it's a good -cheap- saw. if I ran a metal fabrication shop.. I'd look for a better unit. But for home use.. or metal cutting for repair work at a small business.. etc.. seems to be working fine.

Soundguy