Portable fuel station finished

/ Portable fuel station finished #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I had posted previously about using a cleaned out 33 gallon closed head drum for my fuel transfer setup. My initial efforts looked like this:

IMG_5561_zpsb8f19446.jpg

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/312666-new-fuel-storage-dispensor.html

I had a couple of comments, which I really appreciate, voicing concern about the drum tipping over due to the weight of the pump on one side.

So, back to the drawing board. Being that I'm basically a cheap Yankee I looked around my barn and came up with a solution. I had an old gas grill frame that I had been using as a portable tool table. Previously, I took the grill part off and bolted on a piece of MDF. For this project I removed the MDF and cut one end off the grill frame. I then welded a couple cross pieces on to the base with some flat steel stock that I had laying around. I was concerned that the el cheapo plastic wheels that are found on a gas grill wouldn't support any real weight. To deal with that I found a piece of 3X3 steel angle that I had left over from welding hooks on the top of my tractor bucket. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/273546-finally-got-chance-add-bucket.html?highlight=
I cut 4 pieces of the angle, drilled some holes and bolted them to the sides of the frame. Added 4 wheels from Harbor Freight, a little black spray paint, a couple muffler clamps welded on to hold the power cord and this is what the final product looks like.

IMG_5573_zps5c24e379.jpg

IMG_5575_zps81dd7971.jpg

IMG_5574_zps6ce16a7e.jpg

I put swivel wheels on the front so I can turn it. Works like a shopping cart. I purchased the rubber wheels, as mentioned, from Harbor Freight for about $14 total. The only other things I purchased were the pump and the filter. I got the drum for free, had the grill frame in my barn and the leftover steel in my workshop. I made sure the frame was strong enough by standing on it. If it holds me it will hold 30 gallons of diesel with no problem. By mounting the drum towards the back of the frame coupled with the spacing of the wheels it's really stable now. To those of you who pointed out their concern about it tipping, again, thank you.

I tried wheeling it around on my driveway and it works like a charm. I gave half a thought about making a mount to hang a battery on the back of the frame, but I found an easier method. I've got a battery jump box that I'll bring outside and hook up the power leads to. That way everything is portable and I don't need to buy anything else other than fuel. Now I can just push it up along side the tractor when I need fuel and no more lifting 5 gallon cans to the top of the tractor or spilling fuel all over the hood.

/ Portable fuel station finished #2  
Very nice set up! On mine I use one of those tiny 12v batteries that are used on trailer tongues to initiate the brakes in case the trailer breaks free of the tow rig. This type of battery is about the size of a soft ball, easy to carry in one hand and will last a long time between recharges.

/ Portable fuel station finished
Very nice set up! On mine I use one of those tiny 12v batteries that are used on trailer tongues to initiate the brakes in case the trailer breaks free of the tow rig. This type of battery is about the size of a soft ball, easy to carry in one hand and will last a long time between recharges.

I'll have to look into one of those, thanks!

/ Portable fuel station finished #4  
Where I live (nothing flat!), I would have a concern about it taking off down the hill on it's own!

I would seriously consider putting casters with brakes on it, even on level ground. You don't want 30 gallons of diesel rolling off on it's own!

Otherwise, good solution!

/ Portable fuel station finished #5  
Wow, We sure are making things complicated from your original set up! Ok, I suggest you add hydraulic brakes, starboard and leeward navigation lights and a cab with air conditioning!!! :)

Where I live (nothing flat!), I would have a concern about it taking off down the hill on it's own!

I would seriously consider putting casters with brakes on it, even on level ground. You don't want 30 gallons of diesel rolling off on it's own!

Otherwise, good solution!

My driveway is flat, but if it becomes an issue HF has the same caster wheels with locks. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Wow, We sure are making things complicated from your original set up! Ok, I suggest you add hydraulic brakes, starboard and leeward navigation lights and a cab with air conditioning!!! :)

I'm putting a CB radio, running boards and mud flaps on it this weekend!

/ Portable fuel station finished #7  
Hey, don't forget the SMV sign or the safety police will be paying you a visit!

Seriously, you should get a lot of satisfaction from this project. My Dad has one that is close to yours, but not quite as nice. He uses a barrel cart to move it around, but yours looks to be more manuverable. My compliments, and thanks for sharing it with us.

/ Portable fuel station finished #8  
I'd put some gussets on your angle iron caster mounts and a bar joining the handles together to beef it up. You don't want it bending or twisting with about 350 lbs. of diesel in it. How it rolls empty isn't a concern. How it rolls full is. You may need larger diameter casters. I'd also mount a battery tray on it so you don't have to make two trips getting it set up.

/ Portable fuel station finished #9  
I had posted previously about using a cleaned out 33 gallon closed head drum for my fuel transfer setup.
I tried wheeling it around on my driveway and it works like a charm. I gave half a thought about making a mount to hang a battery on the back of the frame, but I found an easier method. I've got a battery jump box that I'll bring outside and hook up the power leads to. That way everything is portable and I don't need to buy anything else other than fuel. Now I can just push it up along side the tractor when I need fuel and no more lifting 5 gallon cans to the top of the tractor or spilling fuel all over the hood.

A couple questions:
What make and where did you buy your pump and hose.
How do you fill the 30 gallon container.

I'd put some gussets on your angle iron caster mounts and a bar joining the handles together to beef it up. You don't want it bending or twisting with about 350 lbs. of diesel in it. How it rolls empty isn't a concern. How it rolls full is. You may need larger diameter casters. I'd also mount a battery tray on it so you don't have to make two trips getting it set up.

I was concerned about that but I did reinforce the bottom by welding pieces across. They don't show in the photos. Before I put the drum on top of it I stood on it and had my wife wheel it around a bit. I don't plan on filling it more than 1/2 to 3/4 full anyway so at around 7lbs a gallon, 20 to 25 gallons of fuel is only 140 to 180 lbs or so. I weigh more than that. I appreciate the comments though and I will keep an eye on it.

A couple questions:
What make and where did you buy your pump and hose.
How do you fill the 30 gallon container.

Ebay - GPI pump - saved about $120 over TS prices for the same pump. I fill the container up with 5 gallon cans. It's easy to lift them waist high and poor in. Lifting them to the top of the tractor and spilling fuel all over the tractor even with a giant funnel is a PITA.