Portable Jump Starter

/ Portable Jump Starter #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
It's been a while since I've purchased something like the "jump and carry," a portable battery pack for jump starting cars and what not. It appears that in this era, there are tiny jump starters, small enough to fit in console of a truck and are USB-rechargeable. I'm skeptical of anything I see sold on Amazon these days, assuming it's just some Chinese crap. Am I right in being skeptical, or has anyone used such items with success?

What I'd jump start most often is just a small Kubota garden tractor, gas engine. But, if such a product could also jump start actual real vehicles, that'd be grand.

/ Portable Jump Starter #2  
They do work to jump full large vehicles assuming you don't have to crank for minutes. Unfortunately I cannot offer brand advice as it wasn't mine when I saw it used. Guy was a diesel mechanic and said it'd start a semi, started my 3910 just fine.

Hopefully someone else can offer advice to distinguish junk from gems because I'm sure they are not all the same.

/ Portable Jump Starter #3  
They sell different amperage ones so get one that fits what you are jumping off, me I purchased a NOCO big enough to jump my diesel pick up and have jumped everything from my truck to my lawn mower they work. I also used it to finish dumping a load of dirt in my dump trailer once.

/ Portable Jump Starter #5  
It's been a while since I've purchased something like the "jump and carry," a portable battery pack for jump starting cars and what not. It appears that in this era, there are tiny jump starters, small enough to fit in console of a truck and are USB-rechargeable. I'm skeptical of anything I see sold on Amazon these days, assuming it's just some Chinese crap. Am I right in being skeptical, or has anyone used such items with success?

What I'd jump start most often is just a small Kubota garden tractor, gas engine. But, if such a product could also jump start actual real vehicles, that'd be grand.
I was a bit skeptical of those L-I jump packs too, but the one my BIL had changed my mind. Not sure the one I have would fit in the console (it's a little smaller than a brick, has a zippered case) but it's done the job. Mostly used to start lawn tractor, snowmobile, etc. but I did use it once to start a 45 kW generator at one of my work sites, so it does have some oomph. Think I got mine on Amazon, a quick check didn't show any the same brand, but a bunch more or less the same thing.

Hard to find anything electronic/electrical that isn't made in China, not all of it's crap.

/ Portable Jump Starter #6  
   / Portable Jump Starter #8  
Be aware that they are a popular item and often go on sale. Some are safer than others. Lithium Iron is much safer than Lithium Ion.
And if you are invested in any "battery operated" tool line, like Milwaukee or DeWalt 20V max, look to see if they have something that might do with your present bttery packs.

/ Portable Jump Starter #9