Possible Overheating?

/ Possible Overheating?
BobRip said:
Might be trash in the fuel tank outlet, fuel line or the fuel filter. I have had this happen twice. Does it run better if you choke it a little while running at high speed. This is a sure indication of fuel starvation. You can disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and blow air into the line back into the tank. Don't use your mouth. You could drain the tank and then disconnect the fuel line at the tank. The trash is most likely at the tank outlet. It is smaller than the hose. Call me if you have any questions. Or PM.

If when you let it sit for a few minutes it starts and runs for a while this is another indication of trash in the fuel system.

May need to bring it by for your help ....

/ Possible Overheating? #12  
funpilot said:
OK, I definitely have bubbles coming out of the fuel drain from the fuel tank. I see NO debris in the outlet. I never had this problem until I took it in for maintenance. What could they have done to aggrevate the situation to cause it? I presume to do any of the work you suggested, I will have to siphon the gas out of the tank .... I am sure for more talented men like you this is a non issue. I'll bet it has been my one and only problem since I got it back from maintenance. Otherwise, best machine I have ever owned. But, I keep looking at the diesel model .... hmmm

Just a reminder, per our conversation, put some weights on the back. Here is a picture of the bumper that I am going to give you. It is not as clean now as the pictures show, but it is in good shape. The weights are not included.

I don't think the repair guys did anything to cause this fuel problem. Just some trash in the tank. Bring the PT by and we can fix it. You can leave it here while you are at JMU and pick it up on your way back.

Attachments

• bumper close up empty.JPG
    bumper close up empty.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 119
  • bumper with weights.JPG
    bumper with weights.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 117
   / Possible Overheating? #13  
Since vaporlock has raised its ugly head again for someone besides me, I'll mention that I successfully mowed 4 or 5 hilly acres yesterday in mid-eighties weather and never had the PT shut off because of VL. I took a couple of short breaks and could hear the electric pump trying to pump vapor when I went to start back to work so it's still getting hot, just not so bad that it shut down the engine yet this year. Before my prior fuel supply mods, I probably would have had to take at least two extended refreshment breaks to let the machine cool down, after it starved out.

At one point the engine began surging. Noting the 1" of gas left in the tank, I refilled it and the surging ceased. I suspect that the VL gets worse as the temp of the gas increases. The tank has no cooling and is mounted next to the exhaust albeit with a baffle between.

I DID do the mental engineering yesterday and WILL be installing an electric cooling fan on the right side of the engine cover/cage. I will have it blow from right to left across the exhaust and rear of the engine. It will also blow across the fuel tank and also above the exhaust baffle.

Or in other words, it'll be blowing air across three different areas divided by the baffle. Removing heat from the exhaust "manifold" should be the primary benefit. Keeping the gas in the tank cooler should also help. Moving air above and across the baffle I don't think will do much but that's the way it has to be.

As an ex-employee of an auto-parts store I still get parts at 'cost'. I just need to find the time to drive to that town and look through the different aftermarket electric radiator fans they stock. I haven't decided whether to wire it from the hyd fan 12V supply (but before the thermostat) or run a wire from the ignition switch or (most likely) run a wire thru a fuse and toggle switch directly from the battery. I'm am leaning toward having this fan on whenever the engine is running and a toggle switch near it would make it easy enough to accomplish that. I can't imagine "forgetting" this fan is on, thereby killing the battery.

Phil

/ Possible Overheating? #14  
funpilot said:
OK, I definitely have bubbles coming out of the fuel drain from the fuel tank. I see NO debris in the outlet. I never had this problem until I took it in for maintenance. What could they have done to aggrevate the situation to cause it? I presume to do any of the work you suggested, I will have to siphon the gas out of the tank

I've been able to balance a 1/2 full fuel tank (on either end) at a point where gas wasn't running out of either hole. Once the fuel line is off the tank, it can be moved over a container and drained easily if needed.

Phil

Last edited:
   / Possible Overheating? #15  
For those in a tight spot financially, and needing a fan, going to your local junk yard generally yields quality fans at discount prices. Nothing beats new with a warranty, but money talks and fans that I see for my car are at least $100...

Don't forget a relay for that bad boy, btw.

/ Possible Overheating? #16  
woodlandfarms said:
Don't forget a relay for that bad boy, btw.

I can see the need for a relay if I were to power from the ign sw, but if I pull directly from the battery through a fuse, toggle swich and sufficient gauge wire do you think a relay necessary?

I called the parts store and they are faxing me the "picture page" from the catalogs. That'll give me sizes, current ratings, and they're gonna circle the ones "in stock" unless I decide to have them special order one.

Phil

/ Possible Overheating? #17  
Nope, no need for a relay although make sure your switch is rated for the amps. You can get a cool thermometer controlled fan FYI.

Also, if you look at Summit Racing website or JEGS they have a long list of fans, CFM and amps... You said you had a discount so that will probably negate any savings you would get from Summit or JEGS.

Carl

/ Possible Overheating? #18  
Phils said:
At one point the engine began surging. Noting the 1" of gas left in the tank, I refilled it and the surging ceased. I suspect that the VL gets worse as the temp of the gas increases. The tank has no cooling and is mounted next to the exhaust albeit with a baffle between.

Phil

With extra fuel in the tank you have more pressure in the fuel line and this raises the boiling point as well. Of course the cold fuel helps too as you suggested.

I think the cooling fan will help as well.

/ Possible Overheating? #19  
I've ordered a 10" Hayden electric cooling fan. It's about $80 but I didn't look any farther than the store I used to work at. It'll be in today so as soon as a friend/family will be in that town, I'll get it. I expect to install it this weekend.

This was the smallest fan they had but should accomplish what I need. As the smallest fan it also had the lowest amp draw (but the fax makes that number impossible to read.... the next larger 12" has a 8.8A draw).

Phil

/ Possible Overheating? #20  
Phils said:
I've ordered a 10" Hayden electric cooling fan. It's about $80 but I didn't look any farther than the store I used to work at. It'll be in today so as soon as a friend/family will be in that town, I'll get it. I expect to install it this weekend.

This was the smallest fan they had but should accomplish what I need. As the smallest fan it also had the lowest amp draw (but the fax makes that number impossible to read.... the next larger 12" has a 8.8A draw).

Phil

My 11 inch fan on my 422 pulls about 4.5 amps. At least this gives you a reference. I think the manual switch is a good idea. That way if you are running at night with lights, you can turn off the fan. Also you can let the engine run for 10 minutes or so to warm it up after startup. This also gives the battery a chance to recharge some prior to the current drain.