Possible to add a mid-mount PTO for a CK3520 for a front snowblower?

/ Possible to add a mid-mount PTO for a CK3520 for a front snowblower? #11  
   / Possible to add a mid-mount PTO for a CK3520 for a front snowblower? #12  
Ok, so my JD has a mid-pto. And I've tried the snowblower. But when I put a plow on with angle control via 3rd function, I'll never go back. Blower is just too slow. If you have to deal with high snow depth (2-3 ft), do it in time sequences whenever the snow gets to 6-12 inches.
Another option I've seen is a shaft run fwd from the rear pto, but you have to watch the shaft rotation direction your blower needs and the rpm.

/ Possible to add a mid-mount PTO for a CK3520 for a front snowblower?
Ok, so my JD has a mid-pto. And I've tried the snowblower. But when I put a plow on with angle control via 3rd function, I'll never go back. Blower is just too slow. If you have to deal with high snow depth (2-3 ft), do it in time sequences whenever the snow gets to 6-12 inches.
Another option I've seen is a shaft run fwd from the rear pto, but you have to watch the shaft rotation direction your blower needs and the rpm.
Interesting -- I'll have to give this some thought, as I do have the 3rd function kit installed.

A blade would certainly be sufficient for my relatively short driveway, but the driveway is on an 1.25 mile gravel road that is not state maintained. I was thinking that a snow blower, even a slow one, would be much more efficient than a blade over such a distance. I certainly could be wrong, as I do not have any real-world experience with either yet.

Another factor is that I'm in north-central Virginia, where we only get a heavy snow every 3-4 years. Maybe we should just stock up on food and wait it out. :)

It may be possible, but here's my thinking.

Two types of mowing with a finish mower -
1. a lawn where many shrubs, house, garage to mow around. Better to buy a Zero Turn or a lawn tractor for that kind of mowing, with a built in finish mowing deck. Acquisition cost about 1/2 of Mid Mount Mower

2. wide open spaces - almost pasture, but still lawn. Here a tow behind finish mower will do same job as the Mid Mount Mower but with an acquisition cost of about 1/5th.
Thank for the suggestion, but lawn mowing is not an option, as our back yard has a sanitary drain field that I'm sure would not withstand the weight of the CK3520 w/cab, RimGuard, and ballast needed for mowing on a hill. :(

/ Possible to add a mid-mount PTO for a CK3520 for a front snowblower? #16  
I'd look into a blade or pusher for the front and a pull-type blower for the back, I bet it would come out cheaper than adding the mid-PTO and purchasing a front-mount blower.

/ Possible to add a mid-mount PTO for a CK3520 for a front snowblower? #17  
f
Interesting -- I'll have to give this some thought, as I do have the 3rd function kit installed.

A blade would certainly be sufficient for my relatively short driveway, but the driveway is on an 1.25 mile gravel road that is not state maintained. I was thinking that a snow blower, even a slow one, would be much more efficient than a blade over such a distance. I certainly could be wrong, as I do not have any real-world experience with either yet.

Another factor is that I'm in north-central Virginia, where we only get a heavy snow every 3-4 years. Maybe we should just stock up on food and wait it out. :)
Front mounted blade will do a good job especially if it is the "dozer" type mounted to the tractor. The blades that mount on the ssqa of your loader frame protrude so far forward that they don't work near as well as a close coupled blade.
The blower is nicer in that it blows the snow away were a blade just pushes it over. I don't know if your driveway is paved but on a gravel road if it is not froze hard under the snow the blower will be throwing dirt and gravel and blade will be also digging into the surface.
The blade will allow for faster speed.

/ Possible to add a mid-mount PTO for a CK3520 for a front snowblower? #18  
CK series equipped with Loader/Backhoe is not a convenient switchover to the Kioti Front Mount Snowblower Subframe.
The forward bracket for the Backhoe subframe has to be removed from the bottom of the FEL mast and you cannot get a socket on the top of the three fasteners on each side as it is partially under the cab. (assuming you have a cab). The Backhoe "U" shaped receiver bracket is heavy and fits with close tolerance. Its shape is not amenable to a lift, so supporting it one-handed and lining up its holes for re-installation is a lot of grunts or more ingenuity than my IQ affords.

Substituting the FEL bracket with the two blower subframe brackets (using a box wrench and 1/4 turns) needs to be loose for shifting slightly. Get a dedicated moving dolly for storage and repositioning the blower subframe under the tractor to line it up. It has to be lifted slightly with a HF lightweight jack to line up two round shafts with the holes across the frame.

The Kioti 66" Snowblower is Canadian-made, is truly brutish, and expensive. ($10K or more with delivery and hydraulics for the deflector) It uses a hydraulic motor for chute rotation. The subframe needs assembly for the quick attach and, depending on your brush guard, it may have to be removed in order to allow the full lift of the front quick attach.

The lift hydraulics will have to be greased at the bottom before installation as the zerk will be inaccessible after and you may have to ream a little for the hydro-cylinder shaft end or drift the bottom one in with a 75 lb. mallet.

Other than that stuff, I positively love the blower. No more JD 1025R 54" "piddling" comments with this thing. But alas, nary a flake in Philly area the entire winter.

Ken

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback, Ken. I do not plan on ever mounting a backhoe, so this is not an issue for me. Great tip on the greasing before the install.