Possible to Shift HST Tractor Without Starting Engine?

/ Possible to Shift HST Tractor Without Starting Engine? #1  

Suburban Plowboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
I have to get a rollback truck to move my Kubota L3710 to the dealer for repair. The dealer can't load it because I can't start the engine to lift the loader. It has to be a truck without ramps.

Is it possible to roll an HST tractor with the engine in gear? Failing that, will it go into neutral if I shift it without starting the engine?

/ Possible to Shift HST Tractor Without Starting Engine? #2  
I have to get a rollback truck to move my Kubota L3710 to the dealer for repair. The dealer can't load it because I can't start the engine to lift the loader. It has to be a truck without ramps.

Is it possible to roll an HST tractor with the engine in gear? Failing that, will it go into neutral if I shift it without starting the engine?
We have picked up dead tractors with a rollback in the field and just bumped the gear into neutral and it has worked fine.

/ Possible to Shift HST Tractor Without Starting Engine? #3  

Would you be able to lift the loader enough by just cranking the engine?

/ Possible to Shift HST Tractor Without Starting Engine?
I'm not going to fool with the engine. I want to avoid starting it at all until the work is done.

Thanks for the help, TugBarge. The gearshifts move, so hopefully it's out of gear and into 2WD now.

/ Possible to Shift HST Tractor Without Starting Engine? #5  
Another tractor loader or even just a jack and blocking will lift your loader in the air once up the loader valve should hold it for quite some time.
Also a tow or winch cable run under the bucket and up to the frame or front axle will lift the loader, operate your valve as normal and when up return the valve to center.

With your range select in neutral the tractor will run fine.
Also a loader equipped tractor can be pulled backwards onto a trailer.

Thanks for the help. I have a jack under it because I needed it to get the struts up. I don't know how to get the loader to stay up, though. The pressure stays in the cylinders.

I raised the loader with the jack and then pulled the joystick back in the "raise" direction. The front wheels dropped onto the pavement when I did this. It apparently causes the loader to try to stay up, so now there is some hope I can have it a few inches off the driveway when the tow truck drags is. I don't know much about the way the valves work.

/ Possible to Shift HST Tractor Without Starting Engine? #8  
Even with the loader down, the rollback operater should be able winch it and drag it (in either direction). Worst case, just loosen the hydraulic hoses a bit on each side to let the loader “float”; will drip a bit of hydraulic fluid, but not a big deal.

I am no longer concerned about getting it on the truck. I just want to prevent the bucket from scraping the driveway. I put some boards down behind it, so things should work fine.

Everything went well until the tractor's rear end went up the truck bed and oil started pouring out of the cracked front gear cover I'm having replaced. Didn't think about that.