Buying Advice Possibly retiring my 8N

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #1  

skeeter102

Tractor
Ford 8N
I'm kicking around the idea of retiring my old ford 8N, in favor of a modern tractor.

I am building a new house that sits on 10 acres, 3 are mine, the other 7 is my inlaws place. It is sandy soil with lots of brush and trees that need clearing.

My 8n works fine for brush hogging and box blading but I really would like a front end loader and grapple bucket.

I'm looking for something similar in size/weight to what I have but with four wheel drive. Pretty sure I want a shuttle instead of hst.

I'm thinking a 1526 would fit the bill.

What would y'all recommend?

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #2  
I'm kicking around the idea of retiring my old ford 8N, in favor of a modern tractor.

I am building a new house that sits on 10 acres, 3 are mine, the other 7 is my inlaws place. It is sandy soil with lots of brush and trees that need clearing.

My 8n works fine for brush hogging and box blading but I really would like a front end loader and grapple bucket.

I'm looking for something similar in size/weight to what I have but with four wheel drive. Pretty sure I want a shuttle instead of hst.

I'm thinking a 1526 would fit the bill.

What would y'all recommend?

Perfect choice. I bet others will suggest a larger tractor, but I really favor the 1526. High quality tractor and no EPA stuff on it. It's still a mechanically injected engine. Similar power to the 8n, but independent PTO, live hydraulics, power-steering, etc.

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #3  
Perfect choice. I bet others will suggest a larger tractor, but I really favor the 1526. High quality tractor and no EPA stuff on it. It's still a mechanically injected engine. Similar power to the 8n, but independent PTO, live hydraulics, power-steering, etc.

More and bigger is better. LOL

/ Possibly retiring my 8N
I spoke with the local dealer today. He told me the power train warranty doesn't cover the clutch? What's up with that?

He quoted me 21k for a 1533. They don't have that 1526 on the lot but could be ordered.

I'm also looking at a Branson 3015. It's coming in about 4K cheaper than the 1533. 4K is a huge difference and I'm having a hard time justifying to myself that 4K is worth a quick detach bucket and no dpf.

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #5  
I spoke with the local dealer today. He told me the power train warranty doesn't cover the clutch? What's up with that?

He quoted me 21k for a 1533. They don't have that 1526 on the lot but could be ordered.

I'm also looking at a Branson 3015. It's coming in about 4K cheaper than the 1533. 4K is a huge difference and I'm having a hard time justifying to myself that 4K is worth a quick detach bucket and no dpf.
No warranties cover clutches. They are a wear item and a foolish operator can ruin one quickly. You won't have a clutch issue with a 1526. I will say that despite what the warranty says, I have seen manufacturers cover them if they simply fail. If you open up a tractor and the clutch has a busted part, common sense will often prevail. They are trying to avoid the argument with a guy that rides his clutch all the time or that pushes into a pile in high range and uses the clutch as his low range. Stuff like that.

We sell Branson and Mahindra. It's a tough call. We demonstrate them both and let the customer decide. Mahindra has a 7 year warranty vs 4 on the Branson. Branson has a better seat and on some models I think has a stouter loader. At the 26-28 HP level, I'm unabashedly a fan of the Mahindra 1526. 30-40 HP and it's a buyers preference.

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #6  
Be aware that the 1500 series are Mahindra's nicer tractors. Mahindra also has the 2500 series that are more budget accommodating machines. 1500 series machines are made in Japan by Mitsubishi while the 2500s are made in Korea by TYM. Yeah I know, you'd think they would have the series numbers the other way around but it is what it is.

My 1538 seems to have a pretty comfy seat so don't know about that. I just wish I had a cover for it so I'd quit tearing and poking holes in it with tools in my pocket and such.

/ Possibly retiring my 8N
No warranties cover clutches. They are a wear item and a foolish operator can ruin one quickly. You won't have a clutch issue with a 1526. I will say that despite what the warranty says, I have seen manufacturers cover them if they simply fail. If you open up a tractor and the clutch has a busted part, common sense will often prevail. They are trying to avoid the argument with a guy that rides his clutch all the time or that pushes into a pile in high range and uses the clutch as his low range. Stuff like that.

We sell Branson and Mahindra. It's a tough call. We demonstrate them both and let the customer decide. Mahindra has a 7 year warranty vs 4 on the Branson. Branson has a better seat and on some models I think has a stouter loader. At the 26-28 HP level, I'm unabashedly a fan of the Mahindra 1526. 30-40 HP and it's a buyers preference.

Thanks for the info!

What kind of torque numbers does the 1533 and Branson 3015 make?

Horsepower is one thing but torque does the work. My 8n does everything I want it do except for a front end loader. It made 92 ft/lbs new according to the specs. I want something that performs as well/ better as this tractor does now. Manufactures can preach horsepower all day long but if I can't put that to the ground, it's useless.

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #8  
Thanks for the info!

What kind of torque numbers does the 1533 and Branson 3015 make?

Horsepower is one thing but torque does the work. My 8n does everything I want it do except for a front end loader. It made 92 ft/lbs new according to the specs. I want something that performs as well/ better as this tractor does now. Manufactures can preach horsepower all day long but if I can't put that to the ground, it's useless.

I do not have torque numbers, but these little diesel engines, of all makes really, have good torque compared to the typical gas engine. I don't think you will be disappointed in that department. The 1533 uses a huge engine. 2732 cc in. 4 cylinder. So almost a 3 liter engine. It's the very same engine that is used in the 50 HP 3550, just turned down electronically. The Branson uses a A1700 (Cummins twin) 3-cylinder 1700 cc engine. The 1526 uses the tried and true 1318 cc Mitsu 3-cylinder.

The 1533 is pretty deluxe and may compare feature wise better to the Branson 3520, as opposed to the 3015/3515 Branson. Yet the Branson 15 series is more comparable to the Mahindra 1533/38 weight wise, the Branson 20 series being much heavier. There is no direct apples to apples comparison on these.

All good choices. You need to sit on a drive a few. You'll probably favor one or the other by doing that.

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #9  
My Fergy TO30 is pretty much an 8N. I went thru the same as you 2 years ago. I wanted a tractor that was about the same size/hp as my Fergy and did a lot of searching for many months.

I decided on the 3016 which is now relabeled as a 1526. The 3016 is the same machine as the 1526, except it's 28 hp and the 1526 has been tuned down to 26 hp, so it doesn't need all the Tier 4 crap. I doubt I could tell the difference in the 2 hp if I drove a 1526. The Fergy was 29 hp (when new and not worn out). The 1533/38 frame is considerably larger than the 1526. The 3016/1526 is all Mitsubishi made, a big plus in my opinion.

I cannot praise the 3016/1526 machine enough. Strong, tough, reliable and will work the pants off the old Fergy.

Seriously look at the 1526. You won't be disappointed.

/ Possibly retiring my 8N #10  
It will be interesting to hear all the differences you find from the 8N to a modern tractor. Easy to steer, brakes that will stop you, live PTO, cranks better, but not near the same USA history. kt