Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series?

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series? #1  

mstewart44

Also posted this thread (by mistake) on the owning / operating page - OOPPSS!

Hello ALL! Currently own a 2wd 2007 year model 5103 (w/50 hp) to work on 160 acres of recreational / hunting property. Main use is mowing roads, disc/planting food plots, and keeping fire breaks clean. Current attachments include Rhino TW72 mower, and a Brown 6' disc harrow. Am about to get dealer to install 522 FEL and am battling a little buyers remorse that I didn't go ahead and get the 4wd at the time I made the initial purchase. Well, the real reason I didn't do it then is that the dealerships were trying to clear out all the 5103's to make room for the model year change and were letting them go at $12,999 with 0% for 60 months. This deal was not available on the 5105 (you had to order the '05 series to get MFWD) so, this being my first tractor, I opted for the financing deal. (The '05 series has been discontinued.)

That being said, I'm very happy with the overall function of my tractor with only minor complaints. One complaint is that when I lift my disc, the front end would come up - like the disc was too heavy for the tractor. 6 front end weights has essentially cured that problem. I'm also sure the addition of the FEL will stop any additional lifting of the front of the tractor. The only other complaint I have is that the rear tires - size 13.6-28 will spin easily, even in dry conditions - I have a lot of sandy soil on my property. Dealer is working on getting me a price for the larger 16.9-28 size tire and trading me in but I don't have a number yet.

All that being said, I'm still trying battling the itch to jump on a MFWD tractor and trade in. If I were to do that, which '03 series would you guys recommend. I am looking at the 5203 and 5303 as the 5103 went down 5hp compared to my tractor. Sorry to be long winded, but welcome feedback as always.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series? #2  
mstewart44 said:
Also posted this thread (by mistake) on the owning / operating page - OOPPSS!

Hello ALL! Currently own a 2wd 2007 year model 5103 (w/50 hp) to work on 160 acres of recreational / hunting property. Main use is mowing roads, disc/planting food plots, and keeping fire breaks clean. Current attachments include Rhino TW72 mower, and a Brown 6' disc harrow. Am about to get dealer to install 522 FEL and am battling a little buyers remorse that I didn't go ahead and get the 4wd at the time I made the initial purchase. Well, the real reason I didn't do it then is that the dealerships were trying to clear out all the 5103's to make room for the model year change and were letting them go at $12,999 with 0% for 60 months. This deal was not available on the 5105 (you had to order the '05 series to get MFWD) so, this being my first tractor, I opted for the financing deal. (The '05 series has been discontinued.)

That being said, I'm very happy with the overall function of my tractor with only minor complaints. One complaint is that when I lift my disc, the front end would come up - like the disc was too heavy for the tractor. 6 front end weights has essentially cured that problem. I'm also sure the addition of the FEL will stop any additional lifting of the front of the tractor. The only other complaint I have is that the rear tires - size 13.6-28 will spin easily, even in dry conditions - I have a lot of sandy soil on my property. Dealer is working on getting me a price for the larger 16.9-28 size tire and trading me in but I don't have a number yet.

All that being said, I'm still trying battling the itch to jump on a MFWD tractor and trade in. If I were to do that, which '03 series would you guys recommend. I am looking at the 5203 and 5303 as the 5103 went down 5hp compared to my tractor. Sorry to be long winded, but welcome feedback as always.

i too am looking at this series of tractor. i think i am going to go with a 5203 2WD as i dont think i will need MFWD because my soil is also sandy, and when its wet im not working anyways. the only price i can give you is my dealer is selling the 5203 2wd with no loader for $14,700. i dont know if thats good or not as i havent been price shopping. what made me stay away from the 5103 is also the back tire issue and the fact that they decreased the power. are you getting the 522(removable loader) for your current tractor? i was told you can only get it on a MFWD and have to get the 512 for the 2wd. this reason alone makes me think twice about getting a loader as there are alot of times i will need to have it removed, and i would rather just not have it then to have it and not be able to take it off. might as well just do what you did and buy 6 or so weights, and maybe 2 sets for the rear tires.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series?
rolling farms, you are correct and I think I may have mis-printed the FEL. I think I am getting the 512, not the 522.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series? #4  
I would look at the 5203 to replace what you have, nice improvements (transmission, loader capability, joystick placement, rear valve, etc.) over the 07 models. The other advantage is if you go with the 5203 4wd you can get the larger 522 loader.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series? #5  
when i am more serious about buying a new tractor, and finally figure out what i want, i am going to give Gamble77 a call. mstewart, you might want to PM him too, he would give you a great deal im sure! i know he will be one of the first people i contact when its time to talk business. like i said, i just have to decide what i want.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series? #6  
mstewart44 said:

You might try filling your tires with rim guard or something similar. That might help keep your back tires from spinning.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series?
I filled them with water after I got the tractor. The problem I think is the tire diameter / width.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series? #8  
As for spinning the rears, I would suggest checking the air pressure in those rear tires. Too much pressure results in poor ground contact, and spinning. The tractor is not very heavy in stock form, either. I've got my 5403 loaded in fluid and weights. The loss of traction is only going to get worse with a loader.

/ Possibly trading - How much power on 5003 series? #9  
Going with the wider tires will help quite abit in traction and as was said earlier tire pressure can either help or hurt in traction. On my 5103 the book tells me 12psi and that does seem to work pretty good. I will be filling my tires soon to aid in traction. I have the 512 loader and it works great. I could have opted for the 522 but according to the dealer I would not have gained much in lifting capacity. When I was spec'ing my tractor I figured I'd only need to lift about 2000lbs with the FEL so the 512 loader fit nicely. I also don't have any plans to remove the FEL which the 522 does allow easily. The placement for the joystick between the 512 and the 522 didn't factor in and where it's at on the 512 isn't a hinderence at all for me. When I was looking at mine I prioritized my jobs as to what I'd be doing most to least. Another reason for my selection. After all that the price was pretty good. Another thing 5hp isn't going to make or break an operation so that wasn't a significant factor. The only thing I wish I'd gotten is a canopy but that can come later.

Good luck on your new purchase.