Post hole auger tips

/ Post hole auger tips #1  

axeman87

Tractor
Kubota 2002DT
Hi i recently bought a Kubota 2002DT and came with a post hole auger. A SpeeCo, 9" auger. The tips are really worn, same with the pilot bit. I can get the tips off but cant figure out the pilot bit. looks like it screws on but i cant seem to get it off. Is it left hand thread? or just super tight? suggestions?

/ Post hole auger tips #2  
:welcome:
To TBN Axeman87. Congrats on the new to you tractor. How many hours?

/ Post hole auger tips #3  
Welcome to TBN.

It looks like a compact tractor, so here is Speeco's compact post hole digger manual link:

Content Page

The tip appears to screw on, so the thread direction would be so usage would tighten the tip, not loosen it. Try turning it the same way the auger rotates. Penetrating oil and tapping may help.

Bruce

/ Post hole auger tips
Hi thanks, tractor had 990hours, runs great! yes it is a compact tractor. I will get some Kroil on it, thats some good penetrating oil, and try to unscrew it. Might have to clamp down somehow to workbench to hold it down.

/ Post hole auger tips #5  
I had a Speeco auger for a little while. Atwoods is where I bought it and where I bought replacement cutting tips for it. I found that they wore out so quickly , and it didn't dig very well in hard packed clay. I gave up on it in the middle of a fencing project and went to Tractor Supply for a Country Line auger. It is exactly the same size with the bolt holes lining up perfectly. The cutting teeth and auger tip are a thousand times better then the Speeco. It just digs through anything. The only negative I have about the Country Line auger is that it sometimes digs too fast and it will bury itself in the ground.

I see that you are from Fort St John. Do you know any Krischuk's? Steve Krischuk is my uncle and he passed away awhile ago, but his wife Sandy is still around and I think his kids still live there.

/ Post hole auger tips
Ahh no dont know them. Ill have to see still havnt got auger tip off, but i made up new bits with hardened ends and seems to work great. That might be the trick. Also might have to fix by weld/ grinding the spiral auger tip. But its all good for now!

/ Post hole auger tips #7  
Hi all, sorry for digging up an old thread, but maybe someone can help me find what I'm looking for. I bought a King Kutter PHD for my Kubota L3901 about 2 years ago and have put it to good use. Recently, I've noticed it was harder and harder (much slower) to dig my holes than I ever remember last year. We have very hard dry clay soil here in central NC so the digging is rarely easy, but the latest project I've been working on, the thing is almost useless. I realized that the cutting blades are severely rounded off on the edges and have probably been past their useful life for quite awhile now! Looking at the parts diagram in the booklet, they're supposed to be more squared off (more trapezoid-like, actually), so I figure replacing them would bring my auger back to life. Problem is, I can't find them ANYWHERE. I bought the PHD that came with the 9" auger from AgriSupply, but the replacement cutting edges they have available online are a different shape than the original and are meant to fit different brands of augers according to their description. When I called about it, they said the King Kutter replacement blades are a special order item and are over $83!! However, if I bought their version of the 9" auger for only $110, the replacement cutting blades are only like $13. I would rather replace the worn out cutting blades on my current auger since it's otherwise still in good shape, not to mention I don't know how I would get it off the PHD shaft! That thing has been drilled on pretty tight over it's lifetime (any tips on removing the auger bits?). My question finally is, has anyone who owns a King Kutter PHD ever had to replace the cutting blades and if so, where do you get them? Maybe there are other brands that will fit despite not having the same shape as the original? I'm trying to avoid replacing the whole auger if I don't have to. Thanks a lot.

/ Post hole auger tips #9  
Thanks, orezok, but I didn't see anything that looked like it would fit my auger. Maybe I'll give them a call once I hear back from a couple other places I've called. They were going to check compatibility with whatever blades they happen to carry. I might also just make the drive to AgriSupply again and see what they have in stock. I'll bring in one of the old blades and maybe something will match up. Here is the PHD I have: 3 Pt. Post Hole Digger, 9 In. Butterfly Style Auger | Agri Supply

/ Post hole auger tips #10  
I don't have a King Kutter but my Auger is very easy to remove (after taking the pto shield off). Just a couple of bolts. I think a lot of them are interchangeable, look at the size pipe. I plan to go to Agri-supply this week, I'll look around... can you post a photo of your auger tip? They have more in the store vs. online.