Post Hole Digger safety

/ Post Hole Digger safety #1  

ccatfish

Tractor
JD 4300
i've read many messages about how dangerous post hole diggers can be. Can the auger swing around when pulled out of the ground? Most modern PTO shafts have a safety sleeve around them that turn independently or "freely", so I would think that would prevent a lot of PTO related injuries. What is it that makes them so dangerous?

/ Post Hole Digger safety #2  
Yes, the auger can swing pretty wildly if pulled out of the ground while it's still turning, and a lot of older augers do NOT have the PTO shaft shield on them, and while the shield certainly improves safety, there is an opening at each end so it's possible to get a piece of clothing, a glove, etc. caught in it.

Bird

/ Post Hole Digger safety #3  
Like any power tool safety is in eye of the beholder. A circular saw will cut off fingers pretty quick if you run it across your hand. I think the biggest potential problem with an auger is loose clothing getting caught in ANY rotating portion of the digger or shaft. If you don't touch it while operating, don't have long loose hair hanging down, you can operate one safely. Just have a healthy respect and go slow. I found the auger actually bites a little better if you don't run at full speed.

/ Post Hole Digger safety #4  
I found that mine digs just fine at low RPMs, but the chances of screwing it into the ground and getting it stuck are higher at low RPMs. My new digger has that sleeve on the PTO shaft, but has pulled loose from the digger end and I can't get it snapped back on there.

/ Post Hole Digger safety #5  
I only have a few hours of post hole digging on my B2910, but I've found that running the tractor just above idle speed is usually sufficient and I raise the auger every 9"-12" I drill to make sure it doesn't screw itself into the ground to the point it can't be lifted out. The bit will swing fairly "wildly" when engaged if it is not in contact with the ground. I don't engage the auger until the point of the bit is resting on the ground. This is also necessary if you want your hole drilled anywhere near the correct location.

I think a good portion of the safety concerns exist because there is usually more than a single person involved in putting up a fence, so that bystanders may be nearby when drilling. If they should get too close to the rotating parts, bad things will happen. Roto-tillers and 3pt. snowblowers are also very dangerous implements, but it's unlikely someone will be in harms way when these are being used because the tractor is usually in motion and people will give it a wide berth. With the post hole auger, the tractor is parked and people might be tempted to get closer for a better view. Heck, even the operator might be tempted to dismount from the tractor to get a better view of the drilling operation and raise and lower the auger boom from behind the tractor, instead of from the seat.

Also, keep in mind that safety devices do not prevent accidents from occurring, they only decrease the probability of an accident, and that's usually only when common sense is applied. (In most cases, if common sense were present you wouldn't need the safety devices in the first place.)

Seatbelts, anti-lock brakes and airbags are all great safety features found on our cars, but people have still been seriously hurt or killed even with these devices present. The safety shield around my post hole auger PTO shaft is "free", but there is still a possibility of loose clothing or hair being snagged by the ends near the universal joints.

Much like the circular saw example someone else mentioned, use it with respect and common sense and you should be OK. Get the slightest bit careless and the results could be lethal.

Stay safe,

Rick

/ Post Hole Digger safety #6  
ccatfish,

Remember that safety is primarily the operators’ responsibility. I know it sounds obvious but here is an example:

I recently had a run-in with an experienced fence contractor that was installing fence for a friend of mine. He needed some help digging some difficult holes. (I am not a professional and only work for food and Beer. Beer for when the job is done of course). I trailered my tractor and hydraulic auger over to a friends house about 10 miles to drill a dozen or so holes in some fractured granite. In spite of several warning, this very experienced contractor kept getting too close to the digger. The manual says 10' is a safe distance. He insisted he knew better, so he kept walking up to the auger, resting his right hand on the power head, reaching with his left hand for the spinning auger near the main attachment bolt, and then he would look in the hole. Each time he did this insane move, I was polite, but I would shut down the auger just in time for it to stop before his hand reached the bolt area. Finally after a few occurrences and a few choice words from me, I put my tractor back on the trailer and left. That weekend, I returned and finished the holes without his 'help'. It never occurred to him that his gloved hand or shirtsleeve could get caught on the bolt head of the spinning shaft.

Augers can swing violently just from being out of balance or loaded with dirt. I find it best to set the tip on the ground where you want to dig, then start the auger. When pulling the auger out, reduce the speed to a minimum or stop the auger completely.

Hope this helps. Remember: be safe and smart no matter how "experienced" some of your fellow workers might be.

/ Post Hole Digger safety #7  
Roger -

I really like the way you handled that contractor, especially in light of that recent tragedy mentioned in the "Accident" thread.

It took some guts to walk away from a guy who professes to "know better" than you. He may very well hold you disdain and never once consider that you may have saved his life. At least he is now able to move on and flirt with danger somewhere else. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Post Hole Digger safety #8  
Roger,
I admire you for speaking up about "the emporer's new coat". Too many people are intimidated-into-silence in the face of "supposedly" superior knowledge/experience. I've seen it cause dangerous situations in the fire-service, when "recruits" who know-better, have been afraid to correct an "old-timer" or officer who was making a dangerous decision, often "dangerous" to many beside himself.

Thanks for the operating-tips, and your previous posts on the McMillen.
..hope to get mine mounted (backhoe mount) this week.

Larry

/ Post Hole Digger safety #9  
Larry, Please let us know what you think of the the PHD mounted to the backhoe. I am interested in the same set up and sure do like to learn from others.

MarkV

/ Post Hole Digger safety #10  
i prefer to dig the holes myself, alone and dont leave the seat of the tractor unless the motor is off, this is my rule to prevent accidents, as long as you are in the operators seat you cant get near the drive shaft or the auger, i dont want any one around while i am operating the digger, i make all the holes i need then we plant what we need to plant after the tractor is turned off. seems to be the safest way to go as far as i am concerned. as far as touching a digger while in gear, i guess this is a death wish or something like that. dont blame you for shutting down and leaving, sounds way too cavalier for my taste also.

suprised that the guy still has all his parts working like that around heavy equipment, if you tangle with these machines they dont give you a second chance.

alex