Posthole Digger Post Hole Digger

/ Post Hole Digger #11  
One thing that hasn't been said yet, don't get too small an auger.

I bought my PHD used with a 6 inch auger. The original owner bought it to plant a couple of hundred 4x4 fence posts. He learned the hard way that the auger needs to be more than two inches greater in diameter than the post. He would have been a lot better off with a 9 inch auger. You need clearance to level and back fill the post, and to account for the odd bits of dirt that crumble off of the side of the hole.

/ Post Hole Digger
One thing that hasn't been said yet, don't get too small an auger.

I bought my PHD used with a 6 inch auger. The original owner bought it to plant a couple of hundred 4x4 fence posts. He learned the hard way that the auger needs to be more than two inches greater in diameter than the post. He would have been a lot better off with a 9 inch auger. You need clearance to level and back fill the post, and to account for the odd bits of dirt that crumble off of the side of the hole.

Thanks for that. I would've bought one that was two small

/ Post Hole Digger #13  
I don't know what brand the TSC is, but it looks very much like my Leinbach 7200 PHD.

I just purchased one of the PHD's from Tractor Supply and its a "Farm Force" brand. It looks exactly like the Leinbach models. Got the 12' auger with it and have yet to even put it together, so i cant comment on its performance.

/ Post Hole Digger #14  
The TSC PHD I bought is labeled FarmForce by Speeco.
Apparently they are having more than one company make their "FarmForce" brand PHDs....

/ Post Hole Digger #15  
How many of you that recently bought augers from TSC got one with only a single bolt hole?

/ Post Hole Digger #17  
I bought my PHD at TSC about 4 years ago and have drilled over 250 9 inch holes and it has performed flawlessly. Busted a lot of shear pins but thats what they are in there for. Mine was a Speeco PHD they msold at the time..

Attachments

• Auger Job 4-25-2008 001.jpg
    Auger Job 4-25-2008 001.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 149
  • Auger Job 4-25-2008 005.jpg
    Auger Job 4-25-2008 005.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 176
   / Post Hole Digger #18  
I notice you are looking at "new" stuff. Tractor attachments and three point stuff don't get old quick. Look for some used and save. When I sell an old/unsued tool, it goes at a price that makes it move. I.e. kinda cheep. If you can, take a few weeks and read the newspaper adds in your local area or visit your favorate dealer, he gets tradeins. Cheers

/ Post Hole Digger #19  
I have one like that or very similar I bought at TSC 10 + years ago. It has put in a couple hundred holes. No problems. I got the 12 in auger, it allows me to be a little sloppy on positioning and angle. Much easier to locate the post accurately.

/ Post Hole Digger #20  
How many of you that recently bought augers from TSC got one with only a single bolt hole?

Single bolt hole where? Are you referencing the single bolt that holds the bit on?