Posthole Digger Post Hole Diggers

/ Post Hole Diggers #11  
I'd bet the auger bit is dull. Most have a replaceable piece that starts the hole and is what dulls out first. Once the main blades of the bit get started they pull themselves into the hole, sometimes to fast so don't go too deep without pulling the bit to clear itself.

You may well be able to get a new end for your PTO shaft. I think Tractor Supply carries them. You also do not need the same shaft as the manufacture provided, again, Tractor Supply or a good farm store/dealer.

MarkV

/ Post Hole Diggers #12  
1st you won't dig any better with a 2 man manual then you will with a tractor mounted.
Not to sound stupid but are you sure your 3pt is dropping far enough. If a PHD is working right it should{especially in clay} pull itself into the ground. I have very hard clay were I'm at and have a hard time stopping the PHD from screwing itself straight into the ground.
Sounds to me like the 3pt isn't dropping or the tip is bad {or missing??}

/ Post Hole Diggers #13  
Freds are you aware that you can adjust the drop rate on your 3pt arms with the knob below the front of the seat? Both of mine will drop like a rock without any implement on them.

MarkV

Why yes I am.... That's why I was wondering if he had his set to drop quickly with a light attachment.
I do not like mine to drop like a rock. I like mine set to drop quickly with the attachment that's on the tractor without slamming it to the ground. I keep the knob screwed in a little more for a brush hog than I would a back blade.

/ Post Hole Diggers #14  
Check out Agri Supply in Garner. They should have the parts you need for the PTO as well as new cutting edges for your auger.
Agri Supply - Search Results for auger

Red dirt digs easy unless it is very dry. Are you not getting any of this rain? Sharp cutting edges make all of the difference. Keep your RPM fairly low to allow the auger to cut into the soil.

/ Post Hole Diggers #15  
Take a grinder and sharpen the auger bit before each use - helps "bite" into the hole - also put the brake on once you are ready to dig, keeps the tractor from 'walking' forward or backward.