Post hole digging--BX style

/ Post hole digging--BX style #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
Son helped me today and we dug 12 post holes for the upcoming deck. Here's how we did it--takes two people as you will see from this note, but it is about the easiest we've dug holes since I got the tractor.

Issue #1 for me is the PHD is so CLOSE to the BX, I have trouble seeing where it is in relation to where I want to put the hole. Son guided me to the spot, which was a great help!

Issue #2: My PHD has a handle that you use to align the auger in the hole. Simple, that is IF YOU HAVE TWO RIGHT HANDS! One to adjust the auger tip and the second right hand to lower the 3PH................. Our solution to this issue was son moved near the right wheel, held the handle, while I lower the PHD. OR we'd swap roles.

Issue #3: If you turn all the way around to the right to watch the auger, then you can't easily reach the pto level on the left. Our solution to this was simple. Set the parking brake, go to Neutral, and dismount the BX. Had to flip the seat forward (can't engage PTO from the ground unless the seat is forward or engine dies.) I stood on the left side with my hand NEVER LEAVING the pto lever. Son operated the 3ph to raise/lower the auger.

This system worked well for us. Rule #1 was NEVER get close to the auger--and we didn't. Rule #2 was my hand never left the pto lever.

Curious if other BX users have found other methods that work better for them.

We're supposed to get heavy rain Fri/Sat, so will likely have to clean these holes out before I can start with the deck. Our clay was a real challenge for the Vassar PHD, but it did well on 11 of the 12 holes. #12 was so solid in clay, I don't think the post will sink any, so I'm going with it now matter how shallow it is........

No, no pics yet--it's just a bunch of holes in the ground....... Will add pics as the deck develops.

Best wishes,
Ron

/ Post hole digging--BX style #2  
I would cover the holes as best I could to keep the water out. Once there is water in the holes, the sides might just collapse and you will have more problems digging new holes. I suggest a piece of plywood and then covering with plastic. Good luck with the project. My deck project has stalled for the third time this year... at the rate I am going, your deck will be completed before mine... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I have a 2 year lead on getting started.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Post hole digging--BX style #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . . . I suggest a piece of plywood and then covering with plastic. . . . )</font>

Without the plywood I envision the three stooges skit where they make a hole in the floor, then cover it with a rug.

Cliff

/ Post hole digging--BX style
You guys don't know our CLAY. 20 Yrs ago, when we dug the fence posts on the property, I rented a Bota and PHD with a new auger. Took 6 HRs to dig 25 holes. Some only got 18" deep.

The following is NOT SAFE--I would never do it again, I promise: Several times, the contractor helping me climbed onto the gearbox, with the Bota running at full throttle--then I'd join him on the gearbox. Couldn't penetrate the soil!

We filled a couple of holes with water, thinking it would soften the ground up some..... Next morning, they were all level full STILL.

So worst case, we might have some soil wash into the holes--I'm sure we'll have to clean them out.

Yes, we are worried the old golden retriever, who doesn't see so well anymore, might fall in one of them, so we aren't letting her in the backyard till we get them filled.

Son goes back to "Kollig" in 3 weeks, so I gotta get done before then!

ron