Post Hole Digging Pricing

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #11  
If you put your tractor on a trailer and take it off its going to be at least an hour plus gas to and from. So charge your regular hourly rate X 1hr for setup and then I recomend $10/hole. Customers always want the ability to do the total cost calcuilation and the "per hole" cost is a decent marketing tool. $10 hole averages out relatively well for really easy holes and really hard ones. Dollar cost averaging. The only other variable is depth. You may need an extension to hit some depths. If theyre all the same no issue, but if a customer wants some shallow and some really deep then you have to be prepared for that. Without an extension my auger will hit about 30" max.

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #12  
A down pressure kit will definitely help. I have never used one but I wonder how much down force they put and if they can do it through the whole range of motion. Where I am at we have no rocks but the ground can be very hard. On my skid steer I often push down so hard it starts to lift the skid steer.

Another thing you have to worry about is when you get into soft ground you can corkscrew the auger in and get it stuck. My hydralic auger is reversible so it is easy to get out but I have seen 3 point hole diggers get stuck bad to where you couldn't lift them out and had to disconnect and get a huge pipe wrench and try to reverse them out.

Not trying to discourage you just some things to think about.

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #13  
Someone that knows what they are doing will very rarely if ever cork screw an auger in the ground.

I personally have ground that can be so hard that even with water it would take 2 days to drill an 18" dia hole 36" deep. Put a down pressure kit on the PHD and that 2 days just became less than 3 minutes with no water at all.:thumbsup:

Yes if you want to, you can have a constant down pressure, the systems are set up to do that, most people just don't know it though.

I prefer a 3pt setup, I have a straight line of sight that is less than 8 feet. Out on the front of a loader on a tractor, not a skidsteer, it's much further and if the auger is mounted in the center as it should be to be able to put the stresses on the loader equally, you can't see anything.

Plus with the auger on the loader, you just lost the use of the loader. I can use my loader right along with my 3pt PHD.

Everyone likes a certain thing a certain way, and that's all fine, but it usually is not the only way and may or may not be the best way for a person's own circumstances and conditions.

Just my :2cents:

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing
A down pressure kit will definitely help. I have never used one but I wonder how much down force they put and if they can do it through the whole range of motion. Where I am at we have no rocks but the ground can be very hard. On my skid steer I often push down so hard it starts to lift the skid steer.

Another thing you have to worry about is when you get into soft ground you can corkscrew the auger in and get it stuck. My hydralic auger is reversible so it is easy to get out but I have seen 3 point hole diggers get stuck bad to where you couldn't lift them out and had to disconnect and get a huge pipe wrench and try to reverse them out.

Not trying to discourage you just some things to think about.

From what I have seen, the down pressure kit mounts on the post hole digger itself. It looks like it may have pressure for awhile, then the cylinder would need to be retracted and the auger run to the bottom of the hole, then apply the pressure again. I read it puts about 500 lbs of force down on the auger. I cant imagine how bad it would suck to have to dig your auger out that cork screwed into the ground like that. I believe you can still drill holes with this, without using the down pressure cylinder, so it would be just the weight of the auger. So for soft ground, you drill holes normally, and hard ground use the down pressure kit. I know this is not the perfect setup, but should work well for what I would be doing. If I had a skidsteer, I would go the same route you did. Putting enough down force on the auger to lift the skidsteer is alot. If you cant drill through it doing that, something is wrong. Here is the post hole digger I got.....

PD25 Series Post Hole Diggers | Land Pride

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #15  
I am getting a new land pride 3 point post hole digger to add to my collection of implements and plan to do some work on the side with it to. How do you guys charge for doing post holes? Is it by the hour or by the hole? I am getting 9" and 12" augers, along with the hydraulic down pressure kit. I am in central Wisconsin.

Thanks

Rob

I have done jobs drilling post holes and this is how I charged. 10 to 20 holes were $15.00 each hole. 20 to 40 holes were charged $10.00 per hole. more than 40 holes were $5.00 per hole. I did not do a lot of jobs over 40 holes. Mostly these jobs were for backyard decks or small inclosures. For the small jobs it simply wasn't worth the hassle to charge by the hour as around this area its mostly about 6 inches of topsoil and then sand or soft clay. You can drill a lot of holes in soft soil in an hour and charging by that method is not worth it.

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #16  
From what I have seen, the down pressure kit mounts on the post hole digger itself. It looks like it may have pressure for awhile, then the cylinder would need to be retracted and the auger run to the bottom of the hole, then apply the pressure again. I read it puts about 500 lbs of force down on the auger. I cant imagine how bad it would suck to have to dig your auger out that cork screwed into the ground like that. I believe you can still drill holes with this, without using the down pressure cylinder, so it would be just the weight of the auger. So for soft ground, you drill holes normally, and hard ground use the down pressure kit. I know this is not the perfect setup, but should work well for what I would be doing. If I had a skidsteer, I would go the same route you did. Putting enough down force on the auger to lift the skidsteer is alot. If you cant drill through it doing that, something is wrong. Here is the post hole digger I got.....

PD25 Series Post Hole Diggers | Land Pride

Yes you can use the PHD as normal with zero use of the down pressure. Not sure why you think that it only works at the top and the bottom,:confused3: it can work through the entire motion from top to bottom.

If you really plan on doing this as a job for hire, you should think about getting ALL the different size augers.

Just another :2cents:

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing
Yes you can use the PHD as normal with zero use of the down pressure. Not sure why you think that it only works at the top and the bottom,:confused3: it can work through the entire motion from top to bottom.

If you really plan on doing this as a job for hire, you should think about getting ALL the different size augers.

Just another :2cents:

I am getting a 6" auger to. I will add them as money allows me to. I will have the 6", 9", and 12". I think the 15", 18" and 24" is left. Im thinking it may have to be soft soil for my tractor to turn a 18" or 24" auger into the ground to far.

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #18  
I am getting a 6" auger to. I will add them as money allows me to. I will have the 6", 9", and 12". I think the 15", 18" and 24" is left. Im thinking it may have to be soft soil for my tractor to turn a 18" or 24" auger into the ground to far.

It won't matter with the down pressure kit, pretty much all the same. Actually for your rig, the hard ground might actually be easier to drill. ;)

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #19  
RobD70,

Welcome to the wonderful world of hole drilling:D. I have a skid steer that I drill holes with (among other things). I have a Bobcat C15 auger drive and 12" and a 36" augers. I also have extensions to get me down to 10' or so.

Usually I charge by the hour for my skidsteer and I have a 3 hour minimum. A couple of months ago a fellow asked me to dig 4-12"X48" holes in his back yard. I told him what my rate structure was and he was fine with that. It took all of about 5 minutes per hole to drill them. It worked out to a little over $50/hole. Of course, what he didn't see was the time it took to load up the skid, the auger drive and auger, drive to his place unload, reload after the job was done, drive back to my house and unload again and store the equipment. Fortunately, he did understand and was happy to pay my price. He hired me a few weeks later to come back and set some trusses for the porch that he was building. We have a foundation drilling contractor here that has the equipment to drill a 9' dia. hole 30' deep and deeper. He would have charged my customer over $1000.00 to drill those 4 little holes. He would have had to to support the investment in his machinery and workforce.

One tidbit I will pass on to you as I have not seen anybody mention it yet. Before you stick that auger in the ground, call for locates (811). You will get calls from people wanting to fence their land along a road (just where the power co, the tele co, the cable co and the water co lay their wires and pipes) and you run a risk of drilling right down through that stuff. Yeah, it takes time to go out, mark it and call for the locates then wait the required time (usually 48 hours), but it beats the heck out of drilling down through a primary power line, a gas line or a fiber line. Those get real expensive real quick. While I prefer to do this myself, I occasionally will allow the customer to mark the holes and call 811. When the customer does it, I require that he show me the report.

Tim

/ Post Hole Digging Pricing #20  
One tidbit I will pass on to you as I have not seen anybody mention it yet. Before you stick that auger in the ground, call for locates (811). You will get calls from people wanting to fence their land along a road (just where the power co, the tele co, the cable co and the water co lay their wires and pipes) and you run a risk of drilling right down through that stuff. Yeah, it takes time to go out, mark it and call for the locates then wait the required time (usually 48 hours), but it beats the heck out of drilling down through a primary power line, a gas line or a fiber line. Those get real expensive real quick. While I prefer to do this myself, I occasionally will allow the customer to mark the holes and call 811. When the customer does it, I require that he show me the report.

Tim

ABSOLUTELY :thumbsup: