Posthole Digger Posthole Digger storage / attaching

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #1  

HarryN

Gold Member
Tractor
1999 Bobcat 763F John Deer 850 Grasshopper 723K H2
Of all the implements I have, my post hole diggers is the biggest pain to put on the 3 point.
Short of hanging on a tree to make it easier to maneuver it around to attach it, how do you all handle it?
How do you store it when your done with it?
Looking for suggestions and ideas.......thanks

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #2  
There are lots of fabricators here (metal fabricators not story tellers) who build racks to hold a post hole digger.

For me, I disassemble the one I use. Auger comes off, separate the gear box from the boom etc. For me it stores better and is easier to put on the tractor by myself - piece by piece.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #3  
What u say is exactly why I cobbled this together in a couple hours with scrap 2x4s laying around.

Simple A frame with saw horse joints at the top. The top bar isn't attached, just laying in the saw horse joints. Once hooked up, I raise the PHD and remove the top board and drive off.

It's on casters so very easy to roll up to 3pt. It has just enough auger bit weight to balance it and hold it in place.

Not the prettiest but functional.

The other thing I've seen folks do is just drill it into the ground and leave it half burried. I didn't like that option :)

HTH

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 2,110
   / Posthole Digger storage / attaching #4  
I like your invention Jwclark! We have the same Posthole digger.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #5  
Land pride makes a stand for theirs

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #6  
5 Gal bucket placed before the pour = 9" auger

phd stand.jpg

Then drill to the depth you want for easy hook up.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #7  
I agree, they are a PITA. I hang mine from a barn rafter.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #8  
Im with Ted on this one. I have built several dollies for my tiller, backhoe and a couple other 3pt items over the years. I even tried hanging my PHD. Nothing is as easy to me as unpinning and putting each part on a shelf. It takes about the same time as wrestling with it without the frustration.

Curtis

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #9  
Put a piece of door track in your shed at a 90 degree angle to your tractor, where you keep your post hole digger and hang your digger from a chain on a roller in the track. Back up hook the chain around the frame next to the head and let down the tph and unhook. Then slide the post hole digger over against the wall out of the way. To hook up back up any old way and slide the digger over to line up with the tractor. That is my idea of how to deal with a digger.