Posting sketches and CAD drawings

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Is there a way to post a sketch without a scanner? If I have to scan it, what type of file should it be?

How do you post a CAD drawing?

Thanks,

John

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #2  
Most people don't have CAD programs, so they are not going to be able to view your document in its native format (i.e. DWG for AutoCAD drawings).

You will need to convert those to something else like say a PDF. You can buy PDF creation software online. Most of them work like a printer. You print but a PDF "file" comes out instead. Basically any program that you can print from becomes capaple of producing a PDF.

As for your sketch, I am assuming you mean a hand drawing. Scanning and saving as a picture type (JPG, GIF, etc) is about your only option there.

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #3  
JPG seems to work the best for attaching files here. I checked the FAQ, but we don't list "allowed" file types - not sure what we can upload, but I do know that jpgs work, just keep it under 100K.

For a CAD drawing - there are a few free places to turn it into a JPG or PDF. try a google search.

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #4  
<font color="blue"> How do you post a CAD drawing? </font>

I don't use CAD, but if you can do a screen capture of it, then save it as a .JPG or .GIF -- no scanner required.

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #5  
You might consider a digital camera to post a sketch. I've had excellent luck with an old 2 megapixel camera for copying 8.5"x11" sheets.
As for CAD, I agree that Adobe Acrobat would be best for all users to view. Additionally, Autodesk used to distribute a free viewer, VoloView Express. It doesn't seem to be supported on their site anymore but it was free and freely distributable and I know there are plenty of copies out there. Also, most CAD programs have the ability to "export" or "save as" an image file. Finally AutoCAD, and maybe others (TurboCAD possibly) has a function that is supposed to create a "web" optimized file for sharing, markup, etc on the net.
Personal note on image files: One really needs to be watchful when creating images out of maps or drawings to get enough dots-per-inch to make details and dimensions readable and use just enough (jpg) compression to get the file size down within reason. Hope that helps and doesn't just cloud the issue /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #6  
You should be able to save the CAD drawing as a TIF file and post it in your message. If TBN can't accept a TIF there are a lot of free utilities that will convert TIF to JPG.

John

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #7  
If all else fails take your drawings to a local Kinko's and have them scan it to a disk in the .jpg format. I'm sure they can even reduce the size for you so that they will fall within the TBN limits.

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings
Thanks for the help everyone. One more reason to upgrade to a more contemporary CAD program. Got the software, just need to learn how to use it. In the meantime, I'll just take a digital photo, as suggested.

John

/ Posting sketches and CAD drawings #10  
That's a good practical and philosophical point. As with other software, AutoCAD is as intuitive as learning to weld with a buzz box, damp rod and encrusted steel … overhead. I’ve been stuck using it since release 10. Today, one can download demos of almost any software. And, I don’t believe basic CAD programs are that hard to find. For those interested in using CAD, possibly downloading a few different ones and trying them out would be beneficial and less daunting. One thing that I have noticed while teaching people CAD, those that experience with hand drafting and geometry pick it up much faster and with less frustration. … ‘course, if you have an iron head, like me, even having that background may not make it any less confounding. So, while using AutoCAD most every day at work, when it comes to hacking something out in the shop, I do like it seems many on this forum do … in my head. If I resort to a drawing, I usually sketch it on a scrap of paper. But, every scrap-o-paper sketch gets scanned or shot with the digi cam so I’ve got a record of it. Regarding as-built sketches/plans: as, I think some have done on this forum, marking up photos of the finished job with dimensions and notes seems to be a very direct way of conveying a lot of info.