Posting Universal Files and Photos

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but I realized I don't know a way to upload files and reference documents so that links to them can be posted in a message. Is this possible? If so, will someone walk me through the simplest options?

Oh....and it might require some experimental postings before I get it right. Is there an area for experimenting?

So far about all I know is how to scan a page from a document, load it as a photo, and attach it to a forum reply. That works well for a one-time reply, but so often the same question comes up again or is missed in a subject search. Wouldn't it would be more efficient for that forum to have a forum central library with pointers where folks can upload files, docs, and photos for the use of all?

It might already be a feature and I'm just not aware of it.
Thanks, rScotty

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #2  
Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but I realized I don't know a way to upload files and reference documents so that links to them can be posted in a message. Is this possible? If so, will someone walk me through the simplest options?

Oh....and it might require some experimental postings before I get it right. Is there an area for experimenting?

So far about all I know is how to scan a page from a document, load it as a photo, and attach it to a forum reply. That works well for a one-time reply, but so often the same question comes up again or is missed in a subject search. Wouldn't it would be more efficient for that forum to have a forum central library with pointers where folks can upload files, docs, and photos for the use of all?

It might already be a feature and I'm just not aware of it.
Thanks, rScotty

Well it sort of works like that now, unless I misunderstand what you are asking.
When you upload a photo or .doc or .pdf they stay on the forum servers, you don't have to upload them again, just select them if you need to post them again.

greasegun.jpgView attachment L3400 specs sheet from manual.pdf

Examples are above. an old photo I previously uploaded and some spec sheet for a tractor I used to own.

press Go Advanced button, press manage attachments button. select photo's or documents from the pop up window, click to place a check mark in the little box, drag to the lower area, then press the insert inline button, press done button... and you are done.!

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos
Well it sort of works like that now, unless I misunderstand what you are asking.
When you upload a photo or .doc or .pdf they stay on the forum servers, you don't have to upload them again, just select them if you need to post them again.

Right, what we have now works OK, but it's tied to messages.
What I had in mind was for each Forum to have a Library where docs like old workshop info or spec docs would always be available. They would be filed by subject, and wouldn't have to be referenced in the present roundabout way by searching out a message which might mention that subject and then finding if someone had posted a picture. Another problem with posting photos only in a message is that they don't seem to stay on the forum servers. If a person deletes them then all that stays behind is a broken link to a picture that doesn't exist anymore.
whatta you think?
rScotty

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #4  
What I had in mind was for each Forum to have a Library where docs like old workshop info or spec docs would always be available. They would be filed by subject, and wouldn't have to be referenced in the present roundabout way by searching out a message which might mention that subject and then finding if someone had posted a picture. Another problem with posting photos only in a message is that they don't seem to stay on the forum servers. If a person deletes them then all that stays behind is a broken link to a picture that doesn't exist anymore.
whatta you think?
rScotty

Gotcha now.

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #5  
Oh wow that would be such a great help !!!!

The current sites out there looking for info on tractors is a BIG mess. It takes hours just to find tid-bits and then some time getting it all together. I came across the Yahoo Yanmar forum and found a document library over there to draw from. It was a little bit structured, but not really a big hit because people use there email to interact with the group vs. actually logging into Yahoo and visiting the library.

Here, TBN would have a great membership resource to draw from and the membership would flourish interacting with the library. :cool2:

With so many tractor makes, maybe one library sub section per maker. Not sure from my end how that would work.

The the question about just companies that make implements/attachments. Well, you get the idea. ;)

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #6  
whatta you think?
rScotty
The deleted photos mostly happen when someone links to their Photobucket or other external picture storage and then deleted the picture down the road.
As the the library, what if there was a sticky thread there people could put that info at the top of each forum?

Aaron Z

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #7  

Good idea, but it'd probably require some degree of administration to ensure files are labeled correctly and searchable. I can't recall if attachments like pdfs are searched as a part of thread searches.

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #8  
Good idea, but it'd probably require some degree of administration to ensure files are labeled correctly and searchable. I can't recall if attachments like pdfs are searched as a part of thread searches.

PDFs can be search if 1) the original was not a scanned document. 2) the PDF software plug-in is OCR type and not image TWAIN type.

The plug-in for Office or OpenOffice both offer OCR output PDF, thus the PDF files are searchable. The PDF995 is all TWAIN Ghostscript based and gives images of pages like a scanner in the PDF. However, the TWAIN would be very high resolution.

Question then, the naming of a file is indeed critical. Thus can there be searchable "keywords" associated to the files just like some ProBoards or BB forum software provides?

One last note, copyrights. It must be made clear that copyright data remains just that. However, the copyrights laws do allow up to a certain amount of a document or manual to be posted as long as the source is quoted. Then there is the other copyright part of the law if the publisher declares no electronic publication of any kind. Usually, this applys to documents from the 1980s forward. Now, for general stuff like fluid capacities, engine firing order, 6VDC vs 12VDC, PTO speeds, etc, that can be researched or garnished by the typical home mechanic doing regular maintenance. As for a complete engine overhaul, that's a different story.

John Deere posts many detailed parts diagrams on their websites with no copyright shown. I've snagged a few of the important ones. Also, there are general service do's and don't's there as well that is general and applicable to much of the John Deere tractors and the Yanmar tractors. On the Yanmar Japan site, using Google webpage translate, I snagged much needed info on the YM series for the basic home mechanic. These things can be shared easily in a library here. The Yanmar trouble shooting section is very handy.

Now, if someone has done a mechanical overhaul or clutch change out, or upgraded the VDC system themselves and posted like a detailed worklog in MSpowerpoint or MSword or PDF, that would be totally legal. This would be very much a tear down and build just like Hayes or Chilton does for their manuals. Just the work is done by an individual. That's why I love YouTube on many things. To repair things, the video can show you up front how the job is going to go and what level of expertise or general knowledge is needed.

Just so stuff to think about.

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #9  
Greetings bmaverick:

Thanx for the info but one statement leaves me confused "PDFs can be search if 1) the original was not a scanned document." If I am interpreting that correctly a PDF file can only be searched if it was originally created by non-scanning or in other words by typing it in say using a word processing application and then converted to a PDF. However, I scan hard copy documents or printed electronic documents with my HP5200 Scanner/Printer and select the create "Searchable PDF" function when scanning and those documents are later searchable after being posted on the Internet or stored on a hard drive or embedded in a another document. Thanx! RCK

/ Posting Universal Files and Photos #10  
Greetings bmaverick:

Thanx for the info but one statement leaves me confused "PDFs can be search if 1) the original was not a scanned document." If I am interpreting that correctly a PDF file can only be searched if it was originally created by non-scanning or in other words by typing it in say using a word processing application and then converted to a PDF. However, I scan hard copy documents or printed electronic documents with my HP5200 Scanner/Printer and select the create "Searchable PDF" function when scanning and those documents are later searchable after being posted on the Internet or stored on a hard drive or embedded in a another document. Thanx! RCK

Well, my visionerring 5800 scanner is of a 1998 vintage and does not have those special and modern features. Basically, your scanner does an OCR recognition and then publishes to the PDF file. Not all scanners can do this. :2cents: