Potato Hiller for pumpkins?

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins?
I have a ton of deer by me too but I havent really had a problem with them. I've had more problems with mice. I wouldnt think it would be too hard to keep the deer away from a small patch like the one you want. Get a deer repellant that works. Theres a lot of them that dont work. Deer dont like movement so what I did was attach 4ft of a metallic looking ribbon to a fencepost and put a couple of them in the field. They blow around and create movement. I like to think thats why i dont have deer problems but not positive. Good luck

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #52  
I have a lot of deer that come into my yard, often right up to the side of the house. I was afraid they would devour my garden, so I attached plastic bags from Wal Mart on the top of Tpost. The wind inflates the bags and sometimes they make quite a bit of noise if the wind is blowing very much.

The deer have not touched my garden with these sacks in place.

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #53  
deereman10
For 15 acres I would plant them just like you do now.

We sell CSA shares and have people in the "garden" all the time so I try to make it as presentable, clean, and convenient at possible for the customers.

there are alot of pumpkin farmers around here. Its not in our business model and we just don't have the location to compete with them on a roadside or wholesale basis.

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #54  
Deer haven't bothered our pumpkins during harvest season. But they did eat all the pumpkins left over post harvest.

They like to stomp them open and eat the insides out. My wife calls the wilted skin that's left a pumpkin carcass.

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #55  
deer pressure was up for us last year and we are looking at some fencing solutions this year to combat them.

The biggest damage is usually to berries but they are starting to branch out to other things as well.

2 of the culprits are now in the freezer, but I doubt that will slow down their comrads.

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #56  
deer pressure was up for us last year and we are looking at some fencing solutions this year to combat them.

The biggest damage is usually to berries but they are starting to branch out to other things as well.

2 of the culprits are now in the freezer, but I doubt that will slow down their comrads.

I keep about an acre of clover next to my garden area. I rotate the garden area with clover and plow it under every few years as the garden 'moves'. The I'm not sure if the clover draws the deer away from my garden or not, but they definitley spend their time in the clover and not in my garden.

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #57  
TFord850 that's good advice.
We have used the same strategy with fair success using buckwheat and an oat/pea mix.

Early spring/fall is when we see the deer start to really go after strawberry and raspberry plants. That gets expensive and puts us behind in a hurry.

Here's how you keep the deer away. Buy a 30-06 :thumbsup:

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #59  
.50 cal muzzle loader did a good job last year.
Dropped an 8pt in the asparagus patch at 125 yds.

What variety have you been planting?
We are plantining Baby Bear from Johnny's Seeds this year along with their Champion F1 variety.

Solid Gold, Gold Gem, Gold Standard, and Jack-B-Quick. All from Rupp Seeds