Poulan Troubleshooting

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #1  

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I've run out of things to try on my Poulan Pro 20" (actually a Husqvarna). It wouldn't start and had no spark. I checked the plug, and it sparked on another saw. I disconnected the kill switch, no change. I got a new coil (with plug wire) and still no spark. I rechecked the gap and the plug. Still nothing. This is a pretty simple system. Is there anything else to try before I throw it away?

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #2  
I've had a few Poulans, they are disposable. I'd upgrade, I wish I had years ago, but was lured to the Poulan due to the price.

I have 3 Echo's, all great saws, all are 10+ years old and start and run like new.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting
The Poulan is a backup to my newer Stihl. I would like to keep it running though.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #4  
Are you only checking for spark using a spark plug...??
If so...try using your hand/fingers...hold the wire and ground the base of your hand to the engine...slowly turn the crank at first...

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #5  
The Poulan is a backup to my newer Stihl. I would like to keep it running though.
Yep. I have a Poulan Pro 18" that I've had for about 15 years. I cut about 6 cords a year with it. $119 factory reconditioned. Only problem I ever had with it was a crack in the coil that would open up when the saw got hot. Replacement was about $40. The only reason I fixed it was because I wanted to prove to myself that I could. ;)

I have a different saw now, but keep the Poulan for small stuff and a backup.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #6  
I've run out of things to try on my Poulan Pro 20" (actually a Husqvarna). It wouldn't start and had no spark. I checked the plug, and it sparked on another saw. I disconnected the kill switch, no change. I got a new coil (with plug wire) and still no spark. I rechecked the gap and the plug. Still nothing. This is a pretty simple system. Is there anything else to try before I throw it away?
Did you check the air gap on the coil, besides the gap on the spark plug?

/ Poulan Troubleshooting
Did you check the air gap on the coil, besides the gap on the spark plug?
Yes, I set it about 0.010. I couldn't find the exact specs but I think that's about right for most small engines.

I would like to get it going again. I've got an old 14" Poulan that's about 25 years old and it just keeps going.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #8  
To you, you have checked everything: spark plug, ignition coil. But to me you have not checked everything. Try few more things:
  • Check if the air filter is clogged. Clean it.
  • Gas to oil ratio might be inappropiate
  • Fuel might be bad

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #9  
I know this is not helpful but the old green / grey / purple green 1990's poulans were just ok to keep and fix as spares. If you have the newer yellow, or black yellow, please just toss it. They are very difficult to keep them running right. This is due to a very poor crankcase design that not only develops air leaks, but in some cases does not hold the bearings tight enough as a result or warping and / or bad machining. Not to mention the end of the crankshaft can snap clean off for no reason.

The same issues occur on the Husky 120 models, but the crank shaft is better design.

/ Poulan Troubleshooting #10  
I own a Pullin’ and Pullin’ and Pullin’. Wish I didn’t, but I only use it once a year or so.