Pouring concrete in the cold

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #21  
Dirty Dan
Dumping the hot water was probably a environmental violation

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #22  
I was working in Russia many years ago. I saw Russians to do concrete work at very low temperature. They brought in a machine that could cut several feet deep in totally frozen ground. Then damped in dry concrete mix and started to build the structure on top of it. They said the concrete would cure when the ground thaws.

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #23  
I still have the insulated blankets on it. I lifted up a corner yesterday and it is really wet under there. Water droplets on the surface of the concrete and bottom of the blanket. Should make for a really good cure. I plan to remove it Monday which will be 7 days.

An issue not discussed is that of slab curling.

A big problem in large warehouses with many forklifts, large doors for unloading trucks and heaters trying to keep the cold air out but also occurring in other unwanted situations.

The moisture conditions below and on top of the slab when curing play a large role

This link provides a good explanation:

https://www.nrmca.org/aboutconcrete/cips/19p.pdf

Dave M7040

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #24  
I was working in Russia many years ago. I saw Russians to do concrete work at very low temperature. They brought in a machine that could cut several feet deep in totally frozen ground. Then damped in dry concrete mix and started to build the structure on top of it. They said the concrete would cure when the ground thaws.

This might account for the pictures of crumbling Soviet buildings.

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #26  

My normal method if installing fence posts is to put in dry Sacrete type mix, right out of the bag and tamp it down good. It holds the post in position and I can go ahead with running wire. Numerous times I have removed these posts for one reason or another and the concrete was all cured out and I had to use a 20# sledge to get it off the posts to reuse.

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #27  
My normal method if installing fence posts is to put in dry Sacrete type mix, right out of the bag and tamp it down good. It holds the post in position and I can go ahead with running wire. Numerous times I have removed these posts for one reason or another and the concrete was all cured out and I had to use a 20# sledge to get it off the posts to reuse.

Have done the same thing numerous times.

Rams

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #28  
Growing up in Eastern Iowa raising hogs it seemed we were always expanding the square footage of the concrete slabs to have more space for fat hogs. I remember them pouring a slab in cold weather that later started to have the surface beak up and need to be replaced. Concrete work was always done by "professionals". We helped, but prepping and finishing was done by paid contractors. Dad was not happy! The mixture apparently froze before it could completely cure.

Bill

/ Pouring concrete in the cold #29  
Back in the late 80s I was a batch manager for a Ready Mix outfit that poured weights for a pipeline in northern Minnesota. Our cut off point was 20 below zero anything above that we worked below that we didn't. It takes quite a bit to get things going at 20 below zero trucks ran all night, loader also, and the generator plant did too. We used 190 degree water and lots of calcium cloride. Since oil is lighter than water they needed weights to put over the pipeline when it runs through the swamps. Each weight was two cubic yards. The crew put tarps and heated the weights for I really don't remember how long but a day or two. Our job was just to supply the concrete. As we recirculated the 190 degree water back into the swamp this made turtles and frogs come out of hibernation in the middle of winter in northern Minnesota quite a strange thing.
A buddy of mine in the business here dais they shut down the plants at 28 or 30 IIRC. Not too common here that temps stay below freezing in the daytime.