pouring sidewalks; reinforcement?

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #11  
Ahh - just add an extra shovel of portland for each mix and put a cross groove every 5 feet. tool pic. attached.

Attachments

• groover.jpg
    groover.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 397
   / pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #12  
Sounds like a commercial.

Interesting that you never mentioned rebar or site prep. And by the time I got to the end of it, I was expecting the sales pitch for what you are selling.

Anybody want to guess what company the poster works for? LOL

Eddie

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #13  
Oh and if you use the rolled wire mesh, be sure you TRUST the person on the free end. Trust as in when you ask them to step on the end that they will STAY there(and are heavy enough!!). I think the end will spring back to the roll at mach 2.3. :)

That's what I wanted to say, especially the heavy 6x6x6ga, that stuff is scary in the hands of the inexperienced. They do make flats, you can cut the width you need would be easier to work with.

Steel mesh is standard practice around here for municipal walks, residential and commercial slabs. As far as setting up in the middle of the slab, that's the text book install but often doesn't get done, regardless of that wire sitting on the bottom, it still reinforces and stabilizes, makes it a real bear to demo as some concrete always gets under it. Easier to demo concrete with bar in it than mesh IMO.

The OP is only dong 3-4 ft wide walks, I'd still run some 3/8 (#3) bar or the mesh, small amount of extra work for a more permanent job.

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #14  
Sounds like a commercial.

Interesting that you never mentioned rebar or site prep. And by the time I got to the end of it, I was expecting the sales pitch for what you are selling.

Anybody want to guess what company the poster works for? LOL

Eddie

OK, where did the post go where the so called concrete expert chimed in and ended his post with a recomendationan link to the best product in the world?

Guess it got deleted. LOL

Eddie

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #15  
OK, where did the post go where the so called concrete expert chimed in and ended his post with a recomendationan link to the best product in the world?

Guess it got deleted. LOL

Eddie

Yeah I figured there must of been a post removed when I read your previous reply.

Either the poster was shammed into removing or the moderators did it, most likely the latter.

Enterprising businesses find our discussions with key word searches and find a quick and easy way to get a plug in for their product. I'm always suspect when I see someone just joined TBN to recommend a product.

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #16  
I am a cheap skate and used in sidewalks parts of an old no climb wire fencing. Pretty much the same as mesh.

And to support it - I saw concrete crew use frozen chunks of dirt under their rebar! That quite amazed me, the American way of pours:D

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #17  
The couple of contractors I dig for seldom use rebar or wire for sidewalks. They all do put a stone base under the concrete, Some say it's to allow drainage and others use to to get a nice level area for the concrete. For footers most do use 2 or 3 rows of rebar and we always dig a 24" footer and usually pour at least 10" of concrete for the footer. For driveways some use wire, some rebar and others use just fiber in the mix. My shop floor and my front porch both have fiber in it and not one single crack anywhere. I did use a good base and the garage floor was well packed before pouring and even has a 3' diameter hole 6' deep that I set a JIB crane in and it's not even cracked around it.

I think a lot has to do with base prep as to how good the concrete holds up. As they say, concrete will crack but you need to control where you want it to crack at. Homeowners always are anxious to get their driveway and sidewalks poured as soon as the home is done but the settling is not done and usually they end up cracking and or tilting. Also spending a lil bit more and making a 5 1/2" pour instead of a 3 1/2" or 4" pour will help too. Keeping it damp as long as possible while it cures will also help.

Funny things you dig up sometimes when you break up an old driveway, sidewalk or steps. It amazing how many car parts, scrap steel, bed springs and frames, tractor parts, discarded things from a railroad and items I've never seen before end up in concrete. I've not found any guns yet but I'm sure only a matter of time till one shows up.

Topstrap

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #18  
Watch out for Jimmy Hoffa...

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #19  
Ask the batch plant to add some either stainless steel fibers or fiberglass fibers.

/ pouring sidewalks; reinforcement? #20  
I watched a 200 yard pour at work for our rear parking lot, and they put mesh down on top of bricks. The concrete is 3 feet in some places. When some guys do small jobs they just pour the concrete, then push mesh or rebar in before finishing.