powder coating on galvanized tubing

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #11  
Not much around that can't be painted. Like Patrick says..."1. Prep, 2. Prep, and 3. Prep" It's what I do 8-10 hours a day.

As far as powder coating. I've personally seen the results & they where good.

I'm still very glad Butch has found a better way. Zinc is nasty stuff after manufacture as well as during. This IS, after all, a babies bed he's making.

Butch,

Do make sure and tell your powder coater the intended purpose of the project & if they don't seem in any way concerned, find another shop. Some powder coats may contain lead & other nasties. This said, I'm not sure how well these are locked in due to the powder process. Probably worth some research.

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #12  
I painted some un-aged galvanized rain gutters approximately 30 years ago. I primed the gutters with a Sears product called "Gutter Grip" and covered that with an exterior latex. When I got rid of the house 30 years later the gutters were still in great shape.
Farwell

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #13  
Speaking of powder coating I saw on DIY a motorcycle restoration project where that were doing a home powder coat kit. Kit had powder, gun, etc. You heat the parts in a regular oven for a bit, then shoot, then back in the oven. No real good closeups but for small stuff it looked easy enough.

Rob

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #14  
I've done a good bit of powder coating, (I used to build the ovens & other industrial equipment for years) while what many have said is true, powder coating galv is a bit different than just ave steel stuff like powder coating alum has to be done correctly as well as cast. different procedures for different critters.

welding galv is bad to the health for sure. also the EMT electrical tubing is not something to build with, it is not structural at all & can't be welded as it is more of a pot metal not really steel galv coated as many think.

you need to treat the surface of any of the materials with a good phosphating cleaner to really get the benifits of powder coating. this is true on all METAL materials, (now there are wood powder coating stuff coming out that I know little about as I'm out of the buisness...)

galv does benifit from ageing but the pre=treating cleaners for galv is even more important. pre-heating the galv parts (like cast materials) is also very important, this burns off the fumes prior to coating which would otherwise POP out as bubbles & pin holes. Alum materials need phosphating cleaners WITH a flouride additive in them to help hold the bond & removal of all oxidation is also required in pretty much all circumstances.

hope that helps.

mark M

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #15  
I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

Hey, I resemble that remark!

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #16  
That's probably cause you have a shop that takes a day to cross!!:D :D

Egon