Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines?

/ Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines? #1  

tomrscott

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
Does anyone have any unneeded JD hydraulic lines with banjo fittings on them that they would part with?

For instance, if you installed the power beyond kit for a JD790 or similar, you would have had some leftover/replaced hydraulic lines with these banjo fittings (see photo for an example). There would be the lines you replaced with one fitting on each end, and some kits may have an extra line that you didn't need with a banjo on one end.

These have a 3/4" hole through the banjo and take an SAE-8 threaded banjo bolt. (see next posting)

I have about given up trying to buy these anywhere. They just do not seem to be available anywhere in the US. As a last resort I thought I would see if I could locate a few lines that I could un-braze the fittings from for my needs.

I can of course buy the whole hydraulic lines from JD, but the cost ends up being something like $40 per fitting! I am willing to pay something for them, but before I'll pay that much I will fabricate new ones on the lathe.

(Here's a shot of the fitting open)
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/601766-JD%20banjo2.JPG

Attachments

• 602785-Banjo Fittings.jpg
    602785-Banjo Fittings.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 624
   / Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines?
Here are the bolts that are used with these fittings.

Attachments

• 602791-BanjoBolt2LS.jpg
    602791-BanjoBolt2LS.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 390
   / Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines? #3  
Hey there, I've got the left over lines from my power beyond kit and your welcome to them. I'll have to do some digging, but I've seen at least one recently, so I shouldn't have to dig to deep. PM me your address.

Hollywood,

Thanks VERY MUCH!

I private emailed you but if for any reason you don't get that,
let me know here or at:

tomrscott at sterlink dot net

Also, if you don't mind, let me know how many banjo ends you find please. Thanks!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So Hollywood found one hydraulic line with a banjo fitting on one end, which I very much appreciate, but I am still looking for more banjo fittings.

Thanks!

/ Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines? #6  
you should ask any local dealers to save you some, when I got my 48 back hoe on my new 4310 I asked for any left over parts and I was directed to the dumpster for the hard line with those fittings on it, the mechanic told me they don't save them any more, after installing the power beyonds for so long they had to many hanging around, I'm keeping mine just in case. It looks like it has the same size fittings as the one in your picture.

/ Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines? #7  
Are they that style on a 4310? I have mine, somewhere, but didn't think they were banjo fittings... I sure will look, though!

/ Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines? #8  
This isn't to Tom or any one special. If there is anyway that you can get by without a banjo fitting, don't use them. I know that Tom needs to use them because of clearance. But. if you can use a regular fitting use it instead. The reason I say this is because Banjos reduce the flow and when you have a fitting that reduces the flow it will reduce pressure to the implement, motor, etc and it will also increase the heat in the system.

JerryG,

That's interesting. I have wondered about that. Are you assuming that the cross sectional area is constricted, or are you saying that flow is reduced just because of the less-than-smooth path that the fluid has to take?

If the former, I have done the area calculations and the fluid is actually never constricted in that sense.

It is true that the flow path is a bit "bumpier" through a banjo than through a standard ELL, but not that much. My suspicion is that as long as you are not near the flow limits of the piping size, and velocity is relatively modest, it really shouldn't cause any significant issue. But I admit I don't have any data to back that up, just intuition.

I am actually increasing the size of the tubing about five percent which will improve things some, but it is only a 5.3 gpm or 5.6 gpm or something pump flow, so it it wouldn't seem that it is pushing any real limits.

Do you actually have a source for some data on this?

On the other hand, maybe you were just trying to help reduce the demand for these fittings so I could get some more easily. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bear in mind that some very high performance hydraulic systems use these fittings. Many car braking systems, and a lot of machine tools, just in smaller sizes.

No flames, just naturally curious. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Power-Beyond Kit, leftover Hydraulic Banjo Lines? #10  
<font color="blue">Are you assuming that the cross sectional area is constricted, or are you saying that flow is reduced just because of the less-than-smooth path that the fluid has to take? </font>
Both. The more bends, the more the flow is restricted. Look at how much more disturbed the flow is in a banjo that in say with 90* elbow. Not only does the flow have to make sharp 90* turns in a banjo but the flow is also split, made go around the bolt and then an other very sharp turn and recombined. All of these things reduce flow, restrict flow and heats the oil. Having said all of that. None of this is quite as critical for use with small cylinders. If a large cylinder or even more so a hydraulic motor was in use, it would be critical.