Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #11  
mickeyw
The primitive way to check the log splitter valve to determine if it's OC or CC is disconnect return hose from sump then aim return hose in hyd reservoir neck,with control lever in neutral crank LS engine and if oil flows out return hose it's a OC valve , no oil flows out return hose it's a CC valve. I'm betting it's an OC valve

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640
Thanks for that link Kenny. I've registered on there, will have to find some time to peruse.

My valve came from a UK company flowfitonline.com. They sell Bucher valves and pumps, but they also have their own branded range, which is what I have. I shall email them and ask for confirmation of the valve type and whether it can be changed easily.

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #13  
If your tractor is a closed center hyd system, then this is the valve you should use.

Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL 30 GPM CLOSED CENTER LOG SPLITTER VALVE

You plumb it in parrallel with the other valves.

Same pressure line will feed each valve in parrallel.

If you put a hyd gage in a tee at the IN port of the CC log splitter valve, you will have some pressure, maybe standby pressure or full pressure with tractor running.

My alternative may be to hook this up to our Ford 3000, as that has hydraulics for the FEL, and would be easy to tap into. However I have read that the Ford hydraulic pump doesn't run at very high pressure. Might be worth a try anyway.

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #15  
You should have good pressure for the log splitter.

1970 Ford 3000

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Pressure: 2500 psi [172.4 bar]
Pump flow: 5 gpm [18.9 lpm]
Steering flow: 4.25 gpm [16.1 lpm]
Steering press.: 600 psi [41.4 bar]

Well, this afternoon I made the first run with my splitter connected to the JD. This was principally to check it functioned OK mechanically.
To avoid adding complication I chose to connect the cylinder directly to the tractor's on board spool. Results were positive :)

Observations :
The tractor control lever will stay in either forward or back position without the need to be held there.
When the cylinder reaches full travel the lever stays put, but the pressure clearly drops off. What does this tell us about the hydraulic valve type?
This behaviour makes me wonder whether an external valve could in fact be used without any changes or additions to the circuit.

You should have good pressure for the log splitter.

1970 Ford 3000

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Pressure: 2500 psi [172.4 bar]
Pump flow: 5 gpm [18.9 lpm]
Steering flow: 4.25 gpm [16.1 lpm]
Steering press.: 600 psi [41.4 bar]

Thanks for these figures JJ. Interesting to see steering mentioned, we have the poverty spec model, lol. With a FEL on the Ford it's good for building the upper body :)

/ Power Beyond to run a log splitter on JD 1640 #18  
Observations :
The tractor control lever will stay in either forward or back position without the need to be held there.
When the cylinder reaches full travel the lever stays put, but the pressure clearly drops off. What does this tell us about the hydraulic valve type?

The remote lever on the 1640 should kick back into neutral after cylinder reaches its full travel either direction. I looked in parts catalog and I think your tractor will have spool valves.

Attachments

• L117982________UN20OCT95.gif
    L117982________UN20OCT95.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 80