power loss, Mahindra 2816

/ power loss, Mahindra 2816 #21  
There are many types of additives. Those that help prevent gelling or re-liquify gelled fuel say so on the label. Some are just Cetane boosters, some remove water, some are just lubricant adders. I live in the snow belt of NY just a little southeast of Lake Ontario. We see single digit temps many times thru the winter. I had my fuel gel up the first year I owned my latest tractor. Luckily I was able to idle it back into the garage and run a salamander for several hours to get the fuel to re-liquify. Ever since then I have used Power Service additive (the white bottle) which prevents gelling. Power Service 911 in the red bottle also works to de-ice and re-liquify gelled fuel and lines. I do add more than I need to when refilling my tank. I buy my diesel in 5 gallon jugs from a local truck stop (so it is fresh fuel) then dump it into a 16 gallon drum on wheels. That drum has a small trailer battery and a 12V electric pump I use to fill my tractors 8 gallon tank. I don't use a lot of fuel so this setup is a good size for me.
Forgot to mention that when I originally saw my gelled fuel in the fuel bowl it looked like bacon grease after it has cooled and turned white. I don't know what brands of additive TSC sells as I buy mine from the truck stop. If you actually saw a separation line that does indicate water in the fuel. When buying an additive look for one that also removes water.

/ power loss, Mahindra 2816
George2615: Great information. Thanks.

/ power loss, Mahindra 2816 #23  
nelsond7004: Have never drained any from the fuel tank; will try it. If I were to drain it completely (it's nearly full), and I poured that back into the drum (also 3/4 full), can I safely avoid adding water to the tractor tank if I raise the pump pipe 6 inches or so off the bottom of the drum? I'd still do as suggested and try 5 gals. of fresh product for a test. Thanks.

Murtom, I would think raising your pump pipe 6 inches off of the bottom would help until you figure out what is going on with the fuel. One thing you might think about trying is a fuel and water separation funnel. I bought a "Mr Funnel" last spring. I have no way of gauging how well it filters water, but I think it does a wonderful job at smaller particles.

Models

Following the advice of a number of you, I replaced the fuel filter, drained out the bottoms of the fuel tank, bled the air, and thoroughly cleaned the air filter. Works like new, including under load, with no bogging or rpm fluctuations. If I were more methodical, I'd have done one at a time to isolate the real culprit, but, hey, I'm an impatient American, so I overdid them all and drove away. Appreciate all the responses. Great counsel to keep out of trouble in the future.

/ power loss, Mahindra 2816 #25  
I have a low hour 2816 that did the same thing. I strain my fuel thru a water trapping funnel. The outside of the bowl would be clean but the element would plug with fines and start to calapse in. I believe when they upped the power that the filter is 2 small. I replaced mine with a trusted Bosch spin-on able to support 90 HP. And it has a water drain . Run strong since.

Gleanerdawg: that's a great idea. If I have a recurrence of this problem, I'll do that. Thanks.

/ power loss, Mahindra 2816 #27  
Gleanerdawg thanks for that info. I was really tired of changing mine at $12.00 a pop for that little filter, just ordered me a Racor spin on setup for mine they are coast Guard approved for marine use, so they should work on my 2816 just fine...lol