Power loss under load

/ Power loss under load #1  

geezer45

Tractor
Kubota
Hello all. New to this so please bear with me. I have a Kubota L5450 that I purchased second hand. Up until recently it has been performing very well, but recently it has started acting up. What happens is that it will run just fine cold, but when the engine gets up to temperature it starts hesitating and acts almost as if it is fighting back pressure. Any suggestions as to where to start looking. I have to say that it probably needs a new air filter, but fuel filter has been changed several times to be certain there was no crud blocking the fuel flow. As you can tell, I have little to no experience with diesel so any starting point for me would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Power loss under load #2  
Hello all. New to this so please bear with me. I have a Kubota L5450 that I purchased second hand. Up until recently it has been performing very well, but recently it has started acting up. What happens is that it will run just fine cold, but when the engine gets up to temperature it starts hesitating and acts almost as if it is fighting back pressure. Any suggestions as to where to start looking. I have to say that it probably needs a new air filter, but fuel filter has been changed several times to be certain there was no crud blocking the fuel flow. As you can tell, I have little to no experience with diesel so any starting point for me would be appreciated. Thanks.

have you tried draining out all the fuel and starting with fresh?

/ Power loss under load #3  
Check for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump. Also check that excess fuel from injectors is returning to tank and that tank is venting.

/ Power loss under load #4  
Check for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump. Also check that excess fuel from injectors is returning to tank and that tank is venting.

I agree with Jim. The first place to look when you have a prooblem with low power on a diesel is fuel delivery.

/ Power loss under load #5  
I agree with Jim. The first place to look when you have a prooblem with low power on a diesel is fuel delivery.

Yes ! I would also run the tank as low as I could, then fill with fresh fuel.

Next is the air. Change the filter and check that all hoses, pipes, etc are clear and open. Stuff happens and they could get crushed. Not sure on that model, but... it's a thought!

/ Power loss under load #6  
IF your model has a booster pump ( you can turn the key to ON, and usually hear it clicking/ticking ), make sure that is working. AND it may have a filter just on the pump that is clogged.

My Mitsubishi dozer is that way.....when that stupid little filter clogs, power goes WAY down because no fuel is delivered to the main pump. I only found that filter by studying the parts breakdown...you have to actually screw the back of the booster pump housing off to get to that little filter......you'd never even suspect there was a filter there to look at the pump.