Power Operated ROPS?

/ Power Operated ROPS? #11  
I love all the flaming about drilling holes or mounting things to ROPS. JD ROPS comes with 7/16" holes punched in it for mounting the 4 way flashers, etc.. If you aren't going crazy with giant holes, I can't see where a single hole less than 1/2" will compromise a ROPS especially if it's on the centerline of the structure.

Bring on the flames!

Most ROPS are Armstrong fold from the factory. Add a couple of small cylinders and hook them up to your SCV.
There would typically be no issue with clamping stuff to the ROPS. But the instant you drill a hole in it, or weld something to it, however safe you may deem it to be, you've let the manufacturer off the hook if something does go wrong. Which may be OK for you, until you sell the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Power Operated ROPS?
Someone bring popcorn. :)

/ Power Operated ROPS? #13  
Mcfarmall: Is "Armstrong" a U.S. manufacturer? I realize the name is usually associated with domestic but sometimes foreigners use domestic names to fool the public. I'm just curious and didn't realize that most ROPS were made by a single manufacturer. (P.S.--Gotta love the "Mcfarmall" moniker)

"Armstrong" is my sarcastic brand name for having to need strong arms to lift the ROPS into the deployed position. Shovel = Armstrong excavator, etc.. Sarcasm runs strong and deep in my life.

/ Power Operated ROPS? #14  
"Armstrong" is my sarcastic brand name for having to need strong arms to lift the ROPS into the deployed position. Shovel = Armstrong excavator, etc.. Sarcasm runs strong and deep in my life.

Power steering by Armstrong:laughing:

/ Power Operated ROPS? #15  
There would typically be no issue with clamping stuff to the ROPS. But the instant you drill a hole in it, or weld something to it, however save you may deem it to be, you've let the manufacturer off the hook if something does go wrong. Which may be OK for you, until you sell the tractor.

Have the buyer sign an "as is" sales agreement with a hold harmless / release of liability for any previous modifications. If the buyer knows at the outset the machine is allegedly dangerous and buys it anyway....SOL.

/ Power Operated ROPS? #16  
There is no requirement to sell a used tractor private party with a ROPS installed at all. Let alone one that’s been modified.
I can’t believe how much of a big deal people put on this. It’s a TBN issue that was self manifested from the first few handfuls of questions on ROPS years and years ago.
Sort of like the myth that narrow grapples are better than wider ones. That one pretty much started from one person who tirelessly preaches it. Next thing you know everyone else follows.

This should be a good thread. :)

/ Power Operated ROPS? #17  
I love all the flaming about drilling holes or mounting things to ROPS. JD ROPS comes with 7/16" holes punched in it for mounting the 4 way flashers, etc.. If you aren't going crazy with giant holes, I can't see where a single hole less than 1/2" will compromise a ROPS especially if it's on the centerline of the structure.
The problem with that is that Deere had the testing done to verify that the ROPS still meets specs after making said holes. Once you make a hole in the ROPS the piece of paper that says that the ROPS is certified is null and void. Does that mean that it won't work? No, it just means that it is no longer a "Certified ROPS" so it cannot be used by an employee in a business situation without OSHA getting into a tizzy, a dealer cannot sell it like that and IF you ever roll it and it fails, they can point to your hole and say that its not their fault as you modified their "Certified ROPS" from its original design. That's not to say that you (or your estate's lawyer) can't fight that and prove that your modifications didn't compromise the ROPS, but it would add a lot of hassle.

Aaron Z

/ Power Operated ROPS? #18  
There is no requirement to sell a used tractor private party with a ROPS installed at all. Let alone one that’s been modified.
I can’t believe how much of a big deal people put on this. It’s a TBN issue that was self manifested from the first few handfuls of questions on ROPS years and years ago.
Sort of like the myth that narrow grapples are better than wider ones. That one pretty much started from one person who tirelessly preaches it. Next thing you know everyone else follows.

This should be a good thread. :)

My B7100 has a non folding ROPS. The previous owner shortened it a couple inches and sleeved it with heavy wall tubing. It's stronger than before they started. I'm sure they should have just cut it off enough instead of modifying it.

/ Power Operated ROPS?
Power steering by Armstrong:laughing:

Jeez did I ever fall for that one and I'm the guy usually on the giving end of the "armstrong" thing.

/ Power Operated ROPS? #20  
Funny what you find when searching for other things. I was hoping somebody had come up with an actuator system to raise and lower. You'd still need the pins to lock in either position. These things are quite heavy and I'm always concerned about losing my grip on it while changing positions.