Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #21  
We plow with an 8 inch 2 bottom plow behind an 18 horsepower john deere M

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #22  
Rule of thumb on plowing is 1 drawbar HP per inch...
My 1720 NH is 28 HP at the engine and rated @ 23.5 @ the PTO...
The drawbar HP should be in the 20 range...
With that said I purchased an old Allis Chalmers model 80 2-14 bottom plow that had been changed over from snap couple to three point...
It is a high clearance plow and loads my tractor in heavy clay...
I can pull it but not as fast as I would like to...
My advise would be to stick with a single 14 or 16...
I bought the plow because it was a really good buy and figured that I could use it now or with a larger tractor later...

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #23  
Doesnt any one remember the 2bottom Dearborn plow was used with a 24hp 52ford 8n tractor? There was no 4 wheel drive to put it in. My farm is poor dirt-meaning clay. You should run along fine if you have loaded rears.

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #24  
Doesnt any one remember the 2bottom Dearborn plow was used with a 24hp 52ford 8n tractor? There was no 4 wheel drive to put it in. My farm is poor dirt-meaning clay. You should run along fine if you have loaded rears.
That's how I came about the Dearborn that I have,we used to used it behind an 8N&9N.

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #25  
Thanks for all the helpful info guys, much needed and appreciated.

After seeing Daver1963 plowing his field with a similar tractor to mine, I feel confident that I'll be able to pull a single bottom furrow but I probably wont do any more due to my soil type. Glad to hear that your able to plow with a 2wd as well.

You will want to be able to pull it a little faster than DaveR was going in his video. Ideally, you want to pull it fast enough to turn the soil over 180 degrees so you're flipping the vegetation under and fresh soil up on top.

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #26  
I just recently purchased a Kubota L3300 used tractor that is about 33 HP and has simple 2wd. I'd like to use it to plow about 2 acres of land.

What tires have ye, on the L3300? Narrow, barred, R1 ag tires? Fat R4 industrial tires? Turf tires?

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #27  
Don't forget, The 9N was designed and geared primarily for plowing. Everything else was gravy.

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #28  

If you look at the Dearborn, Ferguson, and Ford plows of that era they were almost identical. Ford used Ferguson plows for the 9N.
A brief history on Ferguson Plows.
A little bit more detailed history: Ford N-Series Tractor History

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow
What tires have ye, on the L3300? Narrow, barred, R1 ag tires? Fat R4 industrial tires? Turf tires?

I believe they are ag tires but here's a picture of the tractor so you can see for yourself

8764383.jpg

/ Power Required to Pull a Two-Bottom Moldboard Plow #30  
Ahhhhhh…..picture.

Yes, I would say ags. Certainly best for traction when plowing. Are the rears filled with air or liquid?