Tractor Sizing Power requirements for . . .

/ Power requirements for . . . #11  
Working to narrow down the choices for our upcoming purchase. We have about 30 acres, about 20-24 are wooded. Wife wants to have a 1 acre garden and plant a fruit tree orchard. And we have about 1000 feet of fence to install, a 1 acre home site to clear in the middle of the woods and several other projects to complete as well. And we have about 1 mile of 'roads' that could use some serious attention.

Our plans are to buy a tractor with a FEL, Box Blade and Post Hole Digger (for the fence work and some other construction projects.) Down the road we might add a power tiller/cultivator. We have some Cat 0 implements that fit a 3 Pt Hitch on our Utility vehicle that I think I should be able to get some use out of with the proper bushings, etc.

We have been thinking that we are going to want 25HP PTO at a minimum, so that seems to dictate at least a 30HP tractor. Does that sound reasonable?

While our immediate needs might not warrant such a large CUT, we don't want to be coming back in 2-3 years needing to trade up, so we want to buy one that will take care of us now and for the foreseeable future.

I look forward your input.

Thanks

Martin

Martin I would look at a 40 ptohp tractor and a separate mower for lawn duty.

/ Power requirements for . . . #12  
you are close anyway.
keeping on the small side of a cut gives you maneuvering room.. however 25 pto hp limtis your mower capability.. though sounds like you do not have much mowing.

Working to narrow down the choices for our upcoming purchase. We have about 30 acres, about 20-24 are wooded. Wife wants to have a 1 acre garden and plant a fruit tree orchard. And we have about 1000 feet of fence to install, a 1 acre home site to clear in the middle of the woods and several other projects to complete as well. And we have about 1 mile of 'roads' that could use some serious attention.

Our plans are to buy a tractor with a FEL, Box Blade and Post Hole Digger (for the fence work and some other construction projects.) Down the road we might add a power tiller/cultivator. We have some Cat 0 implements that fit a 3 Pt Hitch on our Utility vehicle that I think I should be able to get some use out of with the proper bushings, etc.

We have been thinking that we are going to want 25HP PTO at a minimum, so that seems to dictate at least a 30HP tractor. Does that sound reasonable?

While our immediate needs might not warrant such a large CUT, we don't want to be coming back in 2-3 years needing to trade up, so we want to buy one that will take care of us now and for the foreseeable future.

I look forward your input.

Thanks

Martin

/ Power requirements for . . . #13  
I'm certainly not the most experienced tractor owner, but it sounds like you need something with a bit more than 25PTO HP. I have a bit less land than you do now (might grow to 50), and I went with a 47HP LS (R4047H) with FEL, and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller! $21,500 delivered with dual rear remotes, rear work light, etc.

F988A8CF-1B95-4001-B7F0-3FC9462D2980-107-00000000D2F75438.jpg