power rotary broom

/ power rotary broom #1  

stnickstoys

Gold Member
Tractor
Used Yanmar and Iseki
Has anyone tried using a power rotary broom on their tractor? I want to build or buy one for my compact tractor. Don't really care if it goes on front or back, I can figure out how to make it work. I only need the broom.
I want it to sweep rocks from my lawn back onto my driveway that were pushed out there after plowing snow with my pickup this winter. Any ideas appreciated!
Thanks
Nick

/ power rotary broom #2  
Nick:

I haven't used one yet but I am toying with the idea of getting one. I have a line on two or three units that were made for my tractor so there are no modifications required. I gather that you eat a lot of dust with a front mount unit which is what I am looking at.

/ power rotary broom #3  
Drop around a dealer and see what they are getting in on trade. My JD dealer has them come in regularly. Most are in need of a new set of bristles which may be a place for you to start (order a set of new bristles) and then build from there. If I recall correctly, the bristles slide onto four square tubes arranged in a square of about 3x3". But don't trust my memory on that.

My good neighbor comes up in the spring with his broom on his JD445. It works great, and he runs his while driving backwards (with the broom on the front). He has found out that going forward, you have to keep moving all the stone ahead of you until it finally windrows out to the side. It puts a big load on the broom and the bristles and you have to go real slow (Often in the spring the ground is real damp and the stones and mud are hard to move).

But by going backward, the bristles pick up the stones and throws them ahead and to the side, with no heavy windrow piled up. Relatively little load on the broom and bristles. Usually he does two passes backwards and the stones are cleaned up and he is done.

/ power rotary broom #4  
Rotary brooms need to have the capability to apply a very light "touch" to the surface especially if you are going to use them on turf to sweep out gravel. To be effective they need gauge wheels positioned very close to the bottom of the broom to prevent gouging into the turf along with a spring mount or other float system. This all adds up to a rather expensive device especially if it is going to be used only once a year to sweep gravel back onto the roadway.

Brands such as York and Sweepster are amongst the most well-known.

JackIL

/ power rotary broom #5  
Jack,

I want to get the Sweepsteer unit that goes right where your loader is. Forgot the model number. Anyway my uncle has one for his FEL and uses it everyyear to de-thatch his lawn. He just puts his FEL on float and it does a great job. He also uses it for taking the gravel off his lawn from the snowplow on the gravel road. My only problem is I don't have the money right now as I am sure they are expensive with the Hydraulic fluid resevoir and all that good stuff. I have asked sweepsteer to give me a price but they said I have to go through a dealer. The dealer name they gave me I won't do any business with under any circumstances.

/ power rotary broom #6  
I am using a John Deere 51" broom on the front of my 4100. It mounts to the Quick-tach system for power, lift and side to side swing. Power comes forward from the mid PTO. All the same mechanism for power transmission and hydraulic lift/swing are used for the snowblower. I decided to buy the brush and then build the snowblower.
I use the brush as you describe, for rocks on the lawn from the gravel township road. I also use it for cleaning up leaves and those big long bean pods from a tree in our yard. When our apple trees begin producing, I will use it for cleanup around them also, to keep the apples from growing worms.
The brush design is good, but could be a bit better. As mentioned, it needs to float. JD has supplied small gauge wheels on the back which are adjustable. Unfortunately, they are too small and too far back for use on a somewhat soft lawn situation. I plan to add large diameter wheels (like wheelbarrow size maybe) right on the side. As I am brooming the road ditch, the slope changes faster than the gauge wheels in back can keep up with. Larger ones on the side will be closer to the action and make for better float.
the brush also works well for snow, taking that tough packed-on snow off the sidewalk better than anything I've seen. For that, the rear small gauge wheels work fine, so my new wheels will be removeable. To change from the brush to the blower (if I had one) would take about a minute, so the idea for snow would be to blow the driveway and brush the walkways.

/ power rotary broom #7  
Rotary brooms need to have the capability to apply a very light "touch" to the surface especially if you are going to use them on turf to sweep out gravel. To be effective they need gauge wheels positioned very close to the bottom of the broom to prevent gouging into the turf along with a spring mount or other float system. This all adds up to a rather expensive device especially if it is going to be used only once a year to sweep gravel back onto the roadway.

Brands such as York and Sweepster are amongst the most well-known.

JackIL

Sorry about bumping this old post.

I was just wondering if a spring mount or float is available for purchase or does one need to design it themselves?

I use the brush as you describe, for rocks on the lawn from the gravel township road. I also use it for cleaning up leaves and those big long bean pods from a tree in our yard. When our apple trees begin producing, I will use it for cleanup around them also, to keep the apples from growing worms.
The brush design is good, but could be a bit better. As mentioned, it needs to float. JD has supplied small gauge wheels on the back which are adjustable. Unfortunately, they are too small and too far back for use on a somewhat soft lawn situation. I plan to add large diameter wheels (like wheelbarrow size maybe) right on the side. As I am brooming the road ditch, the slope changes faster than the gauge wheels in back can keep up with. Larger ones on the side will be closer to the action and make for better float. .

Did you ever install the wheels? I'd like to see a picture if you have one.

/ power rotary broom #8  
Nope, never did install bigger wheels at the sides as I was thinking. Instead, I had the idea to take the stock casters off and try it that way (on the lawn, for crushed rock cleanup). It works great that way, floats nicely and does not gouge the ground, and of course no wheel tracks. The brush itself, when running, floats without too much turf pressure.

/ power rotary broom #9  
I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the advice!:thumbsup:

/ power rotary broom #10  
HI.

I just purchased a used John Deere 51" power broom to use on my 455.

I've never used a power broom before. How do I know when it's time to replace the broom bristles? Is there an indicator on the bristles or do you do it when they get worn down to a specific length?

Thanks.