Power steering cylinder 784

/ Power steering cylinder 784 #1  

ih784

I have an International 784 that needs to have the power steering cylinder rebuilt. I have a couple of questions. Will the lines need to be capped off while I repack the cylinders? I'm aware that debris may enter the system if I don't. My concern is that will it continue to drain hydraulic fluid other than what's in the lines? Anyone with any advice on re packing these guys is much appreciated to chime in lol.
Thank you so much in advance!

/ Power steering cylinder 784 #2  
I would think they would. On a MF i just pulled the front axle out of the fluid just ran out of the ps cylinder. It would be a safe thing to do anyway.

/ Power steering cylinder 784 #3  
A couple of shop rags or rolled up paper towels would probably reduce the leakage to drips and keep dirt, bugs, etc. out of the lines.

No clue on how the cylinder comes apart though.

/ Power steering cylinder 784
Ok, I got it out and disassembled. I have two plastic wipers one on each end. Any ideas how to pop these out or the two new ones in?

/ Power steering cylinder 784 #5  
Are you talking about the very outers? If just wipers then I use a little dental type hook. Or are they pressed in? If pressed in I use a seal puller like this Amazon.com: Lisle 5675 Seal Puller: Automotive
I have a set of bearing race drivers that I use for putting in seals when I can, otherwise tap around the edges to push it in. Or even a brass drift.
Post some pictures.

/ Power steering cylinder 784
I've got that puller. I hadn't even thought about that. Yes it is the outer wipers. A blind hole so to speak. I'll get some pictures posted. Getting out shouldn't be an issue. I may be able use a socket the same diameter as the plastic sleeve/wiper. Thanks For the idea!