Power Steering Cylinder Repair, Kama 554

/ Power Steering Cylinder Repair, Kama 554
I figured you missed the part about not being able to get to that last bolt head.
I should look into getting those thin walled sockets because I don't have any. But nevertheless, I've found several instances on the castings where the bolt hole is so close to the projection that even a thin walled socket would not go on. Where the hex head is almost touching the projection. Not even a crow's foot. Consequently, you can only get an open end wrench on the exposed side...sometimes not perfectly square to the hex so it slips off easily. Sometimes this limits the amount of "grab" onto the hex head and the amount of "throw" you have. It is awkward to say the least if you know what I mean. I don't think it's a matter of 3 cyl vs 4 cyl or tools in this case.

I've found this throughout the castings on the tractor in several instances. Not only that, but on some bolt holes, it's like the bottom where the head should bottom out, there is some projection right next to the hex head of the bolt, keeping a socket or wrench from seating fully. I kid you not!
It's like they don't counter bore for clearance or they don't clean up the rough casting enough...at least on my tractor. They have the luxury of easy access during assembly when everything is exposed while it's going together, so I think they just "get 'er done" and run the bolts in that way, figuring they won't need to get to them later anyway. It's not like we send these tractors back to them for service anyhow.

/ Power Steering Cylinder Repair, Kama 554 #12  
Well, I just went back out this morning to do it again - just to make sure it wasn't a fluke the first time. Sure enough, I got a 3/4" swivel socket (roughly = to 19mm) on the inside hex head, using a 3" extension attached to a 3/8" ratchet drive. Just for grins, I tried the other on that's hiding behind that small vertical bolt head. Got on it just fine with the same ratchet and extension, but swapped the swivel socket for a 3/4" crows foot. I can post photos if you like (???)

//greg//

/ Power Steering Cylinder Repair, Kama 554 #13  
What the other Tom said, drive up on some lumber or use the loader. Geez, I wish folks were around when I'm working, I'd have gone and got the jack, forgetting the easy methods just suggested.

Dang me, anyhow.