power steering fluid leak from top of steering column - Ford/New Holland 1720

/ power steering fluid leak from top of steering column - Ford/New Holland 1720 #1  

MarkPelz

Tractor
Ford New Holland 1720
I have power steering fluid leaking from the top of the steering column on my 1995 Ford/New Holland 1720. I pulled apart the steering shaft and assembly and it looks like the spacer(s), rubber ring/seal, and bearing all have some wear and I will replace those.
However, is it correct that the steering column is SUPPOSED to have power steering fluid in it during normal operation? Or, do I only have fluid in the column because a seal is failing below the shaft (i.e., in the steering control valve) and allowing the flow into the shaft?

BTW, if I fill the power steering reservoir with a decent amount of fluid, steering works like normal. Of course, when it leaks out enough, I lose steering almost completely.

Thanks for any guidance!! This will help me repair the right part.

/ power steering fluid leak from top of steering column - Ford/New Holland 1720 #2  
Most likely you have a busted seal in the control valve as you suspect. I had this happen on my Terramite. PO's loss of center cap allowed water into the column. Subsequent rust ground the seal. Not reassuring to see the level go back down post-session, unless the leak is so small it's like a single-pore filter. :rolleyes:

After some long runs I'd hydro-soaked a few pants legs against the T5C's offset column. Had an idea to add a saddle-valve 1/4-way up the column and a catch can on the foot-board. May sound Rube Goldberg-ish, but what works on industrial machinery might apply elsewhere. Mere oz/hr leak vs 'gusher.'

Ford's setup will be quite different in components, but not in concept. (four-hose, non-load reacting, etc) If you don't have I&T's FO-46 manual, maybe these from it will help. (shown without permission)

IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1323.JPG

/ power steering fluid leak from top of steering column - Ford/New Holland 1720
Thanks for the response and the great diagrams, Old Grind!!

I know your story about the hydro-soaked pant legs and I've had to dedicate a specific pair of oily shoes to use on the tractor. At least they're waterproofed now. ;)

I've considered the idea of capturing the fluid, too - it's a waste not to, but at least it's a light oil and it's quickly absorbed where it lands.

I will look into rebuilding the control valve. It looks a bit intricate, but as long as it doesn't require a bunch of tools, I'm up for it. My first challenge will be to clean up the valve housing and the fluid tubes before I crack it open. As you would imagine, with all the fluid leaking on it, it's a mess with oil soaked dirt and hay.

If anyone has any other opinions or specific guidance on doing the rebuild/seal replacement, please let me know. Otherwise, I will capture notes, pics, and maybe video to post about the effort.

Thanks, again!!
~Mark

/ power steering fluid leak from top of steering column - Ford/New Holland 1720 #4  
Mark, I'll PM in a few minutes vs post 2-3 pages from that I&T must-have manual, if you don't have one yet. (Valve rebuild, all models. :)) You want yours because even bearing fits are included in engine sections. Photos like Haynes, + diagrams like the old Clymer & Chiltons. You'll see. ;)

I&T FO-46 FORD IMG_1343.JPG

jon

/ power steering fluid leak from top of steering column - Ford/New Holland 1720 #5  
Most likely you have a busted seal in the control valve as you suspect. I had this happen on my Terramite. PO's loss of center cap allowed water into the column. Subsequent rust ground the seal. Not reassuring to see the level go back down post-session, unless the leak is so small it's like a single-pore filter. :rolleyes:

After some long runs I'd hydro-soaked a few pants legs against the T5C's offset column. Had an idea to add a saddle-valve 1/4-way up the column and a catch can on the foot-board. May sound Rube Goldberg-ish, but what works on industrial machinery might apply elsewhere. Mere oz/hr leak vs 'gusher.'

Ford's setup will be quite different in components, but not in concept. (four-hose, non-load reacting, etc) If you don't have I&T's FO-46 manual, maybe these from it will help. (shown without permission)

View attachment 615955 View attachment 615956
I have a TG210 how do you remove the steer column as well as the dash part

/ power steering fluid leak from top of steering column - Ford/New Holland 1720 #6  
Those don’t help me with my set up