Power steering gasket blown

/ Power steering gasket blown #1  

Steve_S

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
The other day after doing some work with my bx I found where the screen covering the battery, dash wiring, etc. was quite soaked. I took it off and it definitely wasn't water. I looked at the compression fitting connections under the steering wheel, and they were drenched. However, after closer inspection, it didn't seem any of them were the culprit. So I began the task of dis-assembling the dash and steering wheel assembly. I popped the wheel itself off and low and behold, the seal where the splined shaft goes into (what I believe is) the pump was leaking.

After further analysis, I believe that having a spinner knob and over turning the steering wheel caused this problem. I took the "stupid" spinner knob off (I have power steering for crying out loud, why did I even bother with one. OH yeah, it looked neat.). After taking the knob off, the leak seems to have gone away, but I'm not content with it.

My question? Is this a fix I can do myself? I was going to take the pump off and have the dealer replace the seal. Would that be my best option?

Thanks, Steve (the artist formerly known as, "Hey, that looks cool so I'll put one on my tractor!")