Power Steering Pump Rebuild

/ Power Steering Pump Rebuild #1  

AMcDowell

Tractor
MF135 Orchard
Hey Everyone,
I have a 1969 Massey Ferguson 135 Orchard. It has a two bolt round power steering pump. My question is, is there anyway to check if the pump is leaking through the oil seal into the engine? I'm planning on replacing all the seals/gaskets, just waiting on parts from the dealer. I'm was wondering if there was a way to check the oil seal after I replace it, in case I mess it up? Inside there are bolts that only a 12 point socket will fit, anyone know what those are called? Why use them? The hard elbow on the pressure line hits the alternator. is anyone else痴 clearance really tight/ non existent. It looks stock, not like it's that twisted. The hard line keeps the alternator from being adjusted out to tighten the belt.
Another question, I run the same hydraulic fluid in the power steering as I do in the rest of the tractor. I致e read on forums about people recommending automotive power steering fluid. Opinions?
Thanks for your input.

-Aaron IMG_1776.jpg

/ Power Steering Pump Rebuild #2  
I recently rebuilt my p/s pump and cylinders. The pump I have is kidney shaped not the round type you have, but they are similar.
I think the only way to know if the seal is leaking into the engine after you have replaced the pump seals is if the level of fluid goes down and you are sure there are no fluid leaks anywhere else and that you have done a thorough purging of air; then it might be wise the take the pump off again and check for fluid on the engine side of the pump. If you use the red power steering fluid then it is easy to spot.

If the main seal is anything like mine, it isn't easy to get the new one back in (the old fell to pieces as I prodded it). The new one will need to be evenly pushed into place probably with a piece of hard blunt tubing of just the right size, with use of a rubber mallet. I used a short length of pvc plumbing pipe. You might use some Vaseline to help things along.

If yours is the Cessna pump, then there is a filter in there which you should replace.

If you have problems with the hard pipe you can replace it back to the next junction, with flexible hydraulic hose.

I use power steering fluid. The IT manual for the 135 states that Automatic Transmission fluid Type A is recommended for the power steering system.

If there is play or scoring in the main shaft/gears or body, then the manual says the pump should be replaced.
Good luck

Last edited: