POWER TAKEOFF

/ POWER TAKEOFF
WE ARE TALKING THE "INDEPENDENT (LIVE) PTO" HERE. I WOULDN'T THINK THAT THE CLUTCH WOULD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE "LIVE" PTO. DOESN'T IT STAY RUNNING EVEN WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED ??
I TRIED ENGAGING THE PTO WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED WITH NO LUCK BUT I'LL GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY.
THANKS AGAIN GUYS.
BAR BILL

/ POWER TAKEOFF #12  
I HOW CAN I ENGAGE THE POWER TAKEOFF WITH MOTOR RUNNING ??

A couple of statements from my OM regarding the PTO engagement (independent PTO case).

1. A To avoid shock loads to the PTO, reduce engine speed when engaging the PTO, then open the throttle to the recommended speed.
2. A To avoid damage of PTO clutch and implement, shift the PTO clutch control lever slowly, when engaging the PTO clutch. Do not keep the PTO clutch control lever half way.
3. Tractor engine will not start if the PTO clutch control lever is in the engaged "ON" position.

/ POWER TAKEOFF #13  
WE ARE TALKING THE "INDEPENDENT (LIVE) PTO" HERE. I WOULDN'T THINK THAT THE CLUTCH WOULD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE "LIVE" PTO. DOESN'T IT STAY RUNNING EVEN WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED ??
I TRIED ENGAGING THE PTO WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED WITH NO LUCK BUT I'LL GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY.
THANKS AGAIN GUYS.
BAR BILL

Maybe they made them both ways? Mine needs the clutch.

The independent will run regardless of clutch position, live pto will stop with the clutch in.

Last edited:
   / POWER TAKEOFF
MY OWNERS / SHOP MANUALS STATE THAT MY FORD 3000 HAS THE "LIVE" POWER PTO. THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED 1/2 WAY --- STOPS THE TRACTOR. THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED ALL THE WAY ---- IT'S SUPPOSED TO STOP THE TRACTOR AND PTO --- BUT IT DOESN'T STOP THE PTO. WITHOUT THIS CLUTCH RELEASING THE GEARS -- I CAN'T ENGAGE THE PTO WITHOUT GRINDING THE GEARS. THE MANUALS SHOW NO TROUBLE SHOOTING IDEAS. CAN THE CLUTCH / LINKAGE BE ADJUSTED OR WHAT WILL I NEED TO DO ??
THANKS GUYS --- BAR BILL

/ POWER TAKEOFF #15  
it is a dry clutch it is adjustable.look in the manual it should show how to adjust it.generally all you do is lengthen or shorten the clutch rod.it should have a spring on the pedal,make sure it is not lost or broken.

/ POWER TAKEOFF #16  
clutch will have to be pressed , even on a twin stick live pto.

if the pto ain't been used alot.. pto stage may be stuck.

soundguy

/ POWER TAKEOFF #17  
not much adjustment past freeplay.

adjust it to book specs freeplay.. or a hair less see what ya get. if pto is still stuck on with clutch down, then start tractor with pto engaged and clutch blocked down. if simply stuck.. that might pop it apart.

post back..

/ POWER TAKEOFF #18  
Ok heres the deal. Engage the PTO with the tractor off!! Start the tractor. With the clutch pushed all the way in, see if the PTO still spins. It shouldnt. The reason I say this: My tractors PTO is operated off of a hand lever, not the clutch. BUT: I still have a lever to engage the PTO before my hand lever will work. Your tracor might be the same way. With my hand lever disengaged, mine still grinds when I engage the other PTO lever if the tractor is running.

/ POWER TAKEOFF
WELL GENTLEMEN --- MY PTO PROBLEM STILL ISN'T SOLVED. I ADJUSTED THE CLUTCH ARM TO THE MAX AND IT STILL DOES NOT DISENGAGE THE PTO WHEN FULLY DEPRESSED LIKE IT SHOULD. I TRIED TO LOOSEN THE PTO SHAFT --- WHILE ENGAGED --- WITH A BAR, ---- WITH THE CLUTCH FULLY DEPRESSED --- WITH NO LUCK. EVIDENTLY THE PROBLEM IS INTERNAL. THE SHOP MANUAL IS WORTHLESS WHEN IT COMES TO SOLVING PROBLEMS. SHOWS THE INTERNAL PARTS --- EXPLAINES NOTHING. THERE IS A 6 IN. ROUND INSPECTION PLATE JUST TO THE REAR OF THE PTO LEVER. COULD A MECHANIC GET TO THE PROBLEM FROM THERE ?? AND IF SO --- WHAT MITE BE THE PROBLEM TO LOOK FOR ?? WITH THIS BEING THE 1st DAY --- MY NEW YEAR ISN'T STARTING OUT VERY HAPPY.
HERE'S WISHING Y'ALL A BETTER ONE.
BAR BILL

/ POWER TAKEOFF #20  
that inspection hole ain't nowhere near the clutch.. which, is VERY LIKEY where your problem lies...

soundguy