power tools from inverters?

/ power tools from inverters? #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I've been looking at some cordless sabre saws, and got to wondering if you can safely run tools like a 110v sabre saw or drill from a properly sized inverter?

/ power tools from inverters? #2  
Sure. Brush type motors do fine from an inverter. Induction motors, I believe, not as well.

/ power tools from inverters? #3  
I highly doubt the inverter can handle the amperage from something like a sabre saw.

Typical Sabre Saws at 110 volts pull about 10 amps. Your average power inverter can only handle 2-4 amps. 12v power supplies in a vehicle also typically have a 3 amp fuse. You will pop a fuse the second you pull the trigger.

/ power tools from inverters? #4  
Ive used my inverter that rests under the cab of my van to power up a rotohammer and a sabre saw in the past .... when my battery powered drills had not been recharged. It works fine as long as the vans engine is running. I use the inverter to charge batteries and run a microwave oven. Its a 1000 w inverter with peak to 1500 w.

/ power tools from inverters? #5  
I highly doubt the inverter can handle the amperage from something like a sabre saw.

Typical Sabre Saws at 110 volts pull about 10 amps. Your average power inverter can only handle 2-4 amps. 12v power supplies in a vehicle also typically have a 3 amp fuse. You will pop a fuse the second you pull the trigger.

Bigger inverters attach directly to the battery.

/ power tools from inverters? #6  
Works great for me- 2000 watt invertor installed in my truck.
3 amp fuse? HAH:laughing:
This thing has 00 welding cable direct to the batteries, draws over 150 amps at max output.

/ power tools from inverters? #7  
Works great for me- 2000 watt invertor installed in my truck.
3 amp fuse? HAH:laughing:
This thing has 00 welding cable direct to the batteries, draws over 150 amps at max output.

my 1000 watt inverter has this huge fuse. i think it was 90 amps, from a stereo shop supplier. #2 copper cables also, but only 3 feet from battery.

/ power tools from inverters? #8  

why guess and pull numbers out of thin air????

tools have a rating.. inverters have a rating.

match them up.

You can EASILLY get inverters up to 5kw 'affordably' ...

10a at 120v is 1200w.. I'd go no less than a 2kw inverter to run one though.

we use that setup.. an electric sawsall ( kawasaki brand ) to cut mitered end sections on metal 'squash' pipe.. IE.. corrugated culvert. we do so with said 2kw inverter and the diesel trucks dual bat.. etc.

works great. just have a good supply of high quality metal blades on you.

I routinely use a 1/2" drill and inverter on my farm property using a similar setup, when doing fencing, using forestner bits to drill fence posts ( 7/8 posts ) hinge pin holes..

right tool for the right job.

don't send in a tack hammer to do the job of a sledge.

soundguy

edit: fixed 12 to 120

Last edited:
   / power tools from inverters? #9  
Bigger inverters attach directly to the battery.

yep.. and our diesels, and my personal one, has 2 bats to help out..

big cable, maxi fuse or CB and you are good to go.

soundguy

/ power tools from inverters? #10  
DO NOT charge your tool batteries on an inverter. When the charger goes into float, the inverter will cycle the AC power and will start the charge routine all over again. We almost burned the work van down when the battery on my impact caught fire.....