Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!!

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #1  

lsmith29530

Tractor
pt 418
What a day!
While moving some dirt in some low spots in my yard with the down pour we had here in SC.

The front left tire/hub fell off :mad: After inspecting further whoever owned her b4 me welded the hubs and covered the tapper lock bolt holes up and used back hubs in place for the front (Jeezzss) will post pic. later

So a quick call to our good Friend Terry @ Power trac is going to fix me up with some Brand new to me used parts :thumbsup:

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #3  
wow, I thought this was going to be about how when brush-hogging, the grass builds up between the left tire and the frame, until it forces the tire off of the wheel, and you get a flat tire (that requires some work to fix). Which happened to me several times before I learned the trick of some quick back and forward motion every so often to clear the mass of grass out.

Nope, way more interesting. Looking forward to the pictures, as I can't quite picture what you are talking about. You mean they welded the rims directly to the wheel hub, and got rid of the wheel bolts? That sounds like a lot of work, and makes it REALLY hard to replace the tires...

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!!
Good morning,
Here are some pic's to help give a better idea of what I was trying to ex plane about the hub/taper lock Bushing

As you see the weld covering the bolt holes on the hub that screw into the taper lock Bushing

And there are no set screws in 3 of the 4taperlocks that hold the key set, I thing there 1/4-20 set screws?

I also took some other pic's of the bucket fix I did, As it was spliting and bending the front hydraulic mount that tilts/dumps the bucket.

And now the 2 front hydraulic cylinder that raises and lowers the bucket/mower are slowly leaking down and I can see no cylinder fluid leaks?

I had this PT for a few mo. now she has the 18hp kohler magnum that purrs like a kitten..

So far I replaced the starter,seals on the front right drive motor,4 new bar tires and the bucket repair - Now the hub/taperlocks and the front cylinder issues..

The fella I bought the PT from said it was his dad's and set under the car port under a tarp for about 5yrs after his death, The son was asking 600.00 I stole it for 500.00 put a battery in the ole girl and new gas first turn of the key and Bang!!! started right up!!!

I couldn't get the money out my wallet fast enough!!!

First time posting pic's not sure they uploaded? so here is a link to pics

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph...15069301714.1073741827.100000596876982&type=3

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #5  
The leaking down slowly is common on all the power trac's . If you turn the power trac off with the bucket raised and come back in an hour or so it will be on the ground.

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #6  
It is either valve spools or piston seals leaking.

Piston seals you can fix, but a worn valve needs replaced.

You can test for both.

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #7  
Please use this forum's photo import tools. Some of us do not have Facebook accounts. Thanks.

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #8  
It is either valve spools or piston seals leaking.

Piston seals you can fix, but a worn valve needs replaced.

You can test for both.
The PTA do this directly from the factory so it's not from wear.

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #9  
My 1990s 1445 loader takes over night to descend to the ground.

I have new seals in two cyl.

I would be curious if it were your valve or the cyl piston seals, or both.

I just don't believe PT would choose valves that leak more than other valves , and for what reason. There is just no logical reason to purchase leaky valves. Would you buy a leaky valve over one that doesn't leak?

As I said before, you can rebuild cyl pistons with new seals, but spool wear is not fixable.

However if you don't like the leak down rate, you can change out the loader valve for some good ones.

I also have a flow control valve for the PTO, and most other have solenoid ON/OFF control.

My wheel motors all have case drains.

My 1445 also has a Ford industrial 4 cyl engine and radiator.

It may be one of the original PT's

/ Power Trac 418 Tire fell off!!! #10  
Folks:

This has been covered extensively in other threads. Search leak down, or leak down. The PTs come from the factory with non-locking valves that bleed. With debris under the check valve in the valve block they can leak down in minutes.

If yours is leaking three feet down in an hour, that's probably normal. If it is three feet in two minutes, that's probably a bit of debris under the check valve.

Terry told me that the rationale for the slow leak down is that it allows for thermal expansion and contraction. Fully sealed circuits have to manage that.

Congratulations on a great purchase!

All the best,

Peter

My 1990s 1445 loader takes over night to descend to the ground.

I have new seals in two cyl.

I would be curious if it were your valve or the cyl piston seals, or both.

I just don't believe PT would choose valves that leak more than other valves , and for what reason. There is just no logical reason to purchase leaky valves. Would you buy a leaky valve over one that doesn't leak?

As I said before, you can rebuild cyl pistons with new seals, but spool wear is not fixable.

However if you don't like the leak down rate, you can change out the loader valve for some good ones.

I also have a flow control valve for the PTO, and most other have solenoid ON/OFF control.

My wheel motors all have case drains.

My 1445 also has a Ford industrial 4 cyl engine and radiator.

It may be one of the original PT's